Coconuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zfranca

Senior Cook
I always presumed that what comes out of coconuts was coconut milk: thick, white, sweet, and very caloric. I was surprised when I cut my first coconut to find that what was coming out was a clear liquid, not very sweet and with just a light coconut taste. It is a wonderful and refreshing drink.
I tried to get information on the calory contents of this liquid but nobody seems to know. Anybody knows something....

Attachments

• volume II 110.jpg
    volume II 110.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 185
  • volume II 111.jpg
    volume II 111.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
What you show in the glass is coconut water. Coconut milk comes from grinding and processing the coconut meat.

Looks like you live in paradise, zfranca...love your pics!
And hahaha, Uncle Bob

Truth is, coconut water is miraculous.

An 8 oz drink has...

...the same amount of potassium as 15 bananas

...5 essential Electrolytes (sodium,magnesium,calcium,ptassium,phosphorous)

...ZERO fat, ZERO cholesterol and ZERO added sugar

...rehydrates faster than water

...lower acidity than sports drinks and juices

...is the only safe fluid to be used intravenously which has saved lives!

Mollyanne, ever since the discovery of the incredible vitamines content of coconuts we have been drinking coconut water instead of regular water.
We have about 60 coconut trees on the property. A healthy mature coconut tree produces an average of about 180 cocos a year, year-round from blossom to fruit, until they get so far up and out of reach (for us).Then the coconut pickers come in to get them.
One coconut yields about 35 oz of water, so why by bottled water, right?
At the end of the day we basically have eaten 75-100 bananas. Are we at danger of over-dosing on potassium? Could this be a case of too much of the good thing is a bad thing?
Thanks.

Attachments

• dining al fresco.jpg
    dining al fresco.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 164
zfranca--I realize your comment was not directly posted to me, but I feel I should respond immediately. While I realize your comment about potassium overload was most likely in jest, it is an extremely serious matter. An even slight elevation in your potassium level can be not only harmful, but even fatal. I urge you to have your potassium levels checked by your medical provider as soon as possible. It is a quick blood test---Margaux, RN

Margaux makes a lot of sense but I just spent at least 1/2 hour googling "too much coconut water", "coconut water health risks", "coconut water warning", coconut water pros and cons", etc etc....and I can't find anything that says too much is bad for you. None of the links came from reputable medical clinics though. Hasn't any research been done on this by reputable reseachers?

I did find that Naked Juice puts out an 11 0z bottle that lists a whopping 650 mg of potassium on it's nutrition label.

I only read of good benefits...make that great!

Thank you. You are very caring people. We will be a little more moderate on drinking the coconut water. We'll go back to wine for a while.
We can assure you that we feel good...

Attachments

• dining al fresco 007.jpg
    dining al fresco 007.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 160

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom