Cuban Sandwiches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
OK, I finally got myself a Cuisinart grill/griddle and am dying to make a Cuban sandwich. Now, while living in Florida I had them made from almost any meat and cheese combination you can imagine. But I'm trying to start with the basic I remember ... well, kinda remember. Seems to me it was sliced roast pork, sliced ham, Swiss (?) cheese (I'm not sure that can be right because sis loves these sandwiches and isn't fond of Swiss cheese). Pickle slices, I think, but I definitely don't remember what was used as a dressing/spread. Mustard? Thousand Island?

There is some debate as to the contents of a "true" Cuban sandwich, most are generally agreed upon. The traditional Cuban sandwich starts with Cuban bread. The loaf is sliced into lengths of 8-12 inches (20–30 cm), lightly buttered, or brushed with olive oil, on the crust, and cut in half horizontally. A coat of yellow mustard is spread on the bread. Then roast pork, glazed ham, Swiss cheese, and thinly-sliced dill pickles are added in layers. Sometimes the pork is marinated in mojo and slow roasted.[4]

The main regional disagreement about the sandwich’s recipe is whether or not to include salami.

When assembled, the sandwich is lightly toasted in a sandwich press called a plancha, which is similar to a panini press but without grooved surfaces.

250px-Cuban_mix.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ham_and_cheese_sandwich

OK, I finally got myself a Cuisinart grill/griddle and am dying to make a Cuban sandwich. Now, while living in Florida I had them made from almost any meat and cheese combination you can imagine. But I'm trying to start with the basic I remember ... well, kinda remember. Seems to me it was sliced roast pork, sliced ham, Swiss (?) cheese (I'm not sure that can be right because sis loves these sandwiches and isn't fond of Swiss cheese). Pickle slices, I think, but I definitely don't remember what was used as a dressing/spread. Mustard? Thousand Island?

Claire, we had a Cuban sandwich for the first time, on a cruise ship recently. It had ham, what I think was jack cheese and the very necessary pickle, with a thousand island type dressing. It was delicious.

Husband did a great pressed sandwich the other day. French roll, sliced turkey, Brie cheese, and well drained cucumber onion salad I had made the day before.
It was a real winner!!
Enjoy your new press.....it's fantastic!

I've had Cuban sandwiches in Ybor City in Florida (A Cuban stronghold) and in Cuban restaurants in various American cities. They consistently have roast pork, ham, swiss, pickles and a dressing. Most often the dressing is some combination of mayonnaise and mustard. When we make them at home I just mix the two half and half and spread it on both sides of the bread.

It's important to have a nice crusty bread. You can even use a baguette.

Claire, be sure to position your top griddle plate so it's parallel to the bottom or it will push
the top half of the sandwich of the bottom half.

Andy, you'll never believe how I've been making them up to now. I take my two heaviest skillets, and thoroughly clean the bottom of one of them. Heat both on the stove. Put the sandwich on one greased skillet (I prefer olive oil to butter for this), then oil the top of the sandwich and then use the second, now hot also, skillet bottom to press the sandwich! I'm hoping this will be easier, but I got some good results.

I've had the sandwiches in many Cuban enclaves in Florida, and we've been happy with my version, I was just really curious as to what the "right" cheese and spread was. I haven't lived in Florida for 13 years, although the rest of my family still does. If they didn't all have a flock of kids, I'd send them on road trips! Haha!

Thanks for the advice about the griddle plates. I've only used it twice (plain old American grilled cheese sandwich, and thin steaks. The former turned out just fine, but I hadn't heated the grill plates hot enough or put enough oil for the thin and very lean steaks to come out good. But I can just see me having all the ingredients ooze out onto the plates, and empty sandwiches!

My local grocery used to sell roast pork slices in the deli, but the last time I went they didn't have them. Oh, dear, will I have to roast a pork?

Last edited:
My local market's deli has stopped carrying roast pork too. :/

I love Cuban sandwiches. The ones that I have had contain ham, roast pork, cheese (I think Swiss), sliced pickles and yellow mustard. They were so good.

I made some bean soup for tomorrow - lunch or dinner. :)

Last edited:
Boars Head has a "porketta" that is decent. Only one market around here seems to have it though.

My local market's deli has stopped carrying roast pork too. :/

I love Cuban sandwiches. The ones that I have had contain ham, roast pork, cheese (I think Swiss), sliced pickles and yellow mustard. They were so good.

That's it....and it's pressed. Wonderful on the grill with a hot brick placed on top.

Hmmm we have one market here that sells Boar's Head. I'll have to see if they carry it.

I asked for some one afternoon (to make Cubans) and the fella thought I asked for pancetta. I asked him if he sliced the right thing (after he had to go hunt up a new package). He was nice about the mistake and it was kinda funny when he realized it.

I just got done eating and now I'm all hungry again reading this thread! What is it about sandwiches???

I think I missed something. So what is it that makes it a Cuban Sandwich? Is it the kind of bread, the mustard sauce, the way the roast pork :pig: is cooked, it's a pressed sandwich, or some combination of these or other things? :wacko:

All of those listed sound great and just like pricessfiona60, imagining them has made me hungry as well!!

Last edited:
In the same manner as veal prepared a certain way with certain ingredients is called veal saltim boca, a sandwich prepared in a certain way with certain ingredients is called a Cuban.

BTW, I dont think they call this a Cuban Sandwich in Cuba. One Cuban restaurant we go to regularly calls it a Media Noche - a Midnighter. Maybe because it's a good meal when you've been drinking and dancing all night.

Hi..!!
A Cuban sandwiches, sometimes called a cubano, is a Latin variation on a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. This undeniably delicious sandwich is grilled and made with ham, pork, Swiss cheese, pickles, mustard and Cuban bread.

I think I missed something. So what is it that makes it a Cuban Sandwich? Is it the kind of bread, the mustard sauce, the way the roast pork :pig: is cooked, it's a pressed sandwich, or some combination of these or other things? :wacko:

All of those listed sound great and just like pricessfiona60, imagining them has made me hungry as well!!

The one common denominator I see is pickle.

Generally make mine with thinly sliced roast pork, swiss cheese, thinly sliced dill pickle, farmhouse mustard, and airy/fine-crumb grinder (sub) rolls. Generally I omit the ham. The farmhouse mustard is just a New England twist, and features whole grain mustard seeds with a bit of horseradish. I do the press in a skillet with a heavy foil-wrapped object.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom