Can I sub sour cream with yogurt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
My recipe for cinnamon rolls calls for 1/3 cup sour cream. Along with stuff like yeast, flour, egg yolks, 1 tsp vinegar, melted butter, etc.

Can I sub the sour cream with Greek yogurt?

I hope someone out there knows better and will be kind enough to warn me to avert some chemical disaster in my kitchen when I do try this one of these days...

I make my own Greek yogurt now so I have plenty to go around. It will also save me time and money not having to go out to buy sour cream. But then again I might have to throw out my entire baked batch if they turn into something other than cinnamon rolls!

Thanks and I hope someone can help!

Good question, Chopstix! I sub Greek yogurt for sourcream all the time but never in a baking scenario. It sure works great in other scenarios. I'll be watching this thread as I'm curious too.

I think sour cream and yogurt can be interchanged. People use yogurt as a low cal sub for sour cream all the time. A googling I will go!! LOL

Well it depends. Sometimes it is used for its fat content and moisture/creamyness, sometimes it is used for the tangy taste, other times to balance out other flavors/ingredients. There are differences between the two that can effect the recipe.

I use yogurt for sour cream in baking all the time. If the yogurt is full fat, there will only be a slight difference in the "tang" of the sour cream taste. If the yogurt is reduced fat, it still should make little to no difference in the finished product.

Almost everyone I know subs yogurt for sour cream in baking, with great success.

I use yogurt for sour cream in baking all the time. If the yogurt is full fat, there will only be a slight difference in the "tang" of the sour cream taste. If the yogurt is reduced fat, it still should make little to no difference in the finished product.

Almost everyone I know subs yogurt for sour cream in baking, with great success.

Ditto.

Back
Top Bottom