Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Candies and Chocolates (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Peanut brittle turned green (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f44/peanut-brittle-turned-green-66677.html)

bimfi 08-30-2010 07:12 PM

Peanut brittle turned green

I just made a batch of peanut brittle. This was my first time making it, so I followed a tradition recipe. I used raw red skinned spanish peanuts for this. The peanuts were relatively smaller than average. I put the peanuts into the sugar mixture when it was at 235 F and cooked it to 290 F. I removed it from the heat and added the butter and soda and beat it to blend. As soon as the soda started foaming it had a greenish tint to the toffee/brittle mixture. It eventually dissipated and changed to a lighter brown color, but the bottom of the brittle was still greenish. Any suggestions as to why this happened and what I can do to prevent this again?

bakechef 08-31-2010 06:08 AM

What kind of pan did you use? Is it bare aluminum? Bare aluminum often reacts with foods, and I would assume that baking soda would cause a reaction.

Hoot 08-31-2010 10:22 AM

I just got off the phone with my sister in law in Georgia.
She has been making peanut brittle for decades.
She said that she has seen that reaction many times.
She says that, usually, the green will dissipate and the brittle will revert to a normal caramel/toffee color.
She speculated that it may come from too rapid heating and the raw peanuts don't get fully cooked.
Not being a candy maker, I must defer to her information.
Apparently it is not too uncommon.
She says that, while it looks strange, the peanut brittle should be fine.

bimfi 08-31-2010 11:14 AM

Thank you all for the feed back. I actually used a stainless steel pot and a wooden spoon. The second batch I made I used peanuts that I had just roasted, to try to remove the "raw" peanut flavor. It also turned green when the soda was put in, but, as Hoot's sister-in-law mentioned, it did dissipate. Now, at least I know that it is sort of normal for this to happen. Thanks, again.

MrsTank39 06-06-2011 04:21 PM

I cooked a batch of peanut brittle and as soon as I added the baking soda it turned green. I used a stainless steel pot and a plastic spoon. PLEASE help!! Thank you. I used raw shelled peanuts; the package does not say Spanish peanuts and I did not roast the brand that I have before I added them to my recipe.

blissful 06-06-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsTank39 (Post 1008826)
I cooked a batch of peanut brittle and as soon as I added the baking soda it turned green. I used a stainless steel pot and a plastic spoon. PLEASE help!! Thank you. I used raw shelled peanuts; the package does not say Spanish peanuts and I did not roast the brand that I have before I added them to my recipe.

Welcome to DC.
I'd recommend a wood or steel spoon instead of plastic, plastic may melt at those temperatures. I don't have an answer for green brittle but you are welcome to send some to me. :wink:

CWS4322 06-06-2011 10:03 PM

Welcome to DC! Sorry to hear that happened. Have you made the recipe before? I have no idea why that happened (suspect a chemical reaction). May I have your permission to send the body of your post to a friend who has a Ph.D. in chemistry?

Sir_Loin_of_Beef 06-07-2011 04:51 PM

Put it in an air tight container and save it for Saint Patrick's Day!

Zhizara 06-08-2011 07:48 AM

How does it taste?

Rocklobster 06-08-2011 07:49 AM

Maybe it is envious of something. Have you had a heart to heart with it?:wink::ermm: