How do I can my salsa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SheltieDogsForever

Assistant Cook
I've started making salsa from my garden and need to learn how to preserve it. How do I can it without having all of that fancy equipment? I have large stainless stew pots I can use for boiling (22qt & 12qt). Is there an easy way for someone as wet behind the ears as I am? I don't want to end up throwing it out.

:alien:

You do need to use an approved recipe, and then you can boiling water bath can it. You need a pot that is at least 3 or 4 inches taller than your jars. To can using a boiling water bath, you put a rack (or a kitchen towel) in the bottom, put your jars in, with enough water to cover the tops of the jars with an inch or two of water.

The link that McNerd posted has a recipe and instructions for canning salsa. You need to use an approved recipe because BWB canning is only used for high acid foods. If your salsa has a lot of onions and peppers, and no vinegar, it might not have enough acid to keep it safe.

Canning is not a big deal, it is not dangerous, it is fun, but you DO have to follow directions.

Beth--that is the recipe I use for salsa, too--delish, sweet and hot!! I leave the spices that they call for out, and use plenty of hot peppers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom