7 Or 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Looking to buy my first CI Dutch oven. For a family of 4 would the Lodge 9 qt be too large? Can't decide on either one.

Everything else skillets, grills and such are picked out. Can't wait to replace my old cookware for these! Reaping my rewards today. :LOL:

If you can recommend a Dutch oven cookbook, I'd appreciate it. Amazon might have it.

Thank you.

Munky.

Before I hit that submit button, looks like it's going to be the 7qt. It will hold a good sized roast and a few whole chickens right? Just making sure.

I did get a trivet for it. Is it one size fits all for dutch ovens?

Thanks for the help.

Munky.

I used a 5 qt cast iron for many years to cook oxtail stew, beef stew, hopping john, etc. for a family of two adults and three growing children. Always had extra left over. Cast iron is a little heavy for chickens, may discolor them. And I'd hate to lift anything heavier than the 5 qt. with lid.

I used a 5 qt cast iron for many years to cook oxtail stew, beef stew, hopping john, etc. for a family of two adults and three growing children. Always had extra left over. Cast iron is a little heavy for chickens, may discolor them. And I'd hate to lift anything heavier than the 5 qt. with lid.

Not quite sure what you mean by " little heavy for chickens may discolor them" I've always heard if your roasting a chicken the dutch oven is the way to go. Aren't they supposed to have some coloring to them?

I'll be getting the 7qt. If it's too much or too little for my needs it's a good excuse to buy another one :)

Munky.

Properly seasoned, there will be no discoloring of any foods. I don't understand the "too heavy fro chicken" comment.

I've always considered chicken a "delicate" meat, best oven roasted uncovered or cut up, sauted and cooked with white wine and herbs. Even though my cast iron is old and well seasoned, it would darken a white wine dish and wouldn't consider roasting a chicken in it unless I was camping. I do glug a solid red wine into the oxtail stew but that comes out pretty dark anyway.

Do you roast chickens in your cast iron pot? Covered or uncovered?

I roast chicken, game hens, duck.....well for that matter, I have cooked most anything I want in a CI camp dutch oven. True, it is a little heavy but it holds heat well and they travel well. I roast birds covered with coals on top and underneath the dutch oven. We have fed many folks at Rendezvous with two 6.5 qt dutch ovens. One with soup or chili, the other with chicken or other fowl. We use a 4 qt for cornbread or biscuits. I really enjoy my Dutch ovens both camping and at home.

I roast chicken, game hens, duck.....well for that matter, I have cooked most anything I want in a CI camp dutch oven. True, it is a little heavy but it holds heat well and they travel well. I roast birds covered with coals on top and underneath the dutch oven. We have fed many folks at Rendezvous with two 6.5 qt dutch ovens. One with soup or chili, the other with chicken or other fowl. We use a 4 qt for cornbread or biscuits. I really enjoy my Dutch ovens both camping and at home.

That's the kind of dutch oven cooking I want to learn how to do. Can't wait for them to get here. I went ahead and got the 9qt to. :angel: Knowing the use I'll be getting out of the 7, the 9 would have been an eventual buy anyways.

The great thing about it is I'll never have to buy and baby another set of cookware again. It will still be here long after I'm gone.

Munky.

WOW!

First of all I have to thank you all for the help. Both arrived yesterday.
Made sure I was ready for them. Made my first DO dinner in the 9qt. It was the perfect size for 2 large roaster chickens. I filled it with lots of veggies. Put the chickens on a rack. Let it roast in the oven. I can't remember when I've had a nice roasted dinner like that. It cooked perfectly.

It was so simple and extremely easy to clean up. (Heavy) I'll get used to it. Didn't realize how much more work it was using my old set of pots and pans until I tried these.

Just finished making chile in the 7qt. That's the one I'll probably be using most often. I like to make ahead a few dinners to freeze or use in other dishes. Now I have the best pot for making my tamale fillers.

Munky.

A 7 qt sounds about right. Though unless you're feeding a hungry bunch who demand seconds, then go for the larger. Just check such a biggun will fit into your oven. ;)

A 7 qt sounds about right. Though unless you're feeding a hungry bunch who demand seconds, then go for the larger. Just check such a biggun will fit into your oven. ;)

Your right, I'm feeding a hungry family. My boys can put it away they ain't so shy :LOL:

Had a few inches of space all around when I used the 9qt. The oven racks had me a little concerned. They sagged a little from the weight. Not sure if they make oven racks any stronger then what I have. Need to check on that.

Munky.

Your right, I'm feeding a hungry family. My boys can put it away they ain't so shy :LOL:

Had a few inches of space all around when I used the 9qt. The oven racks had me a little concerned. They sagged a little from the weight. Not sure if they make oven racks any stronger then what I have. Need to check on that.

Munky.

One other thing you can do with a 'niner' is upside-down, it resembles a bell, and inside on a baking sheet, you could bake a loaf of bread. For thanks to the dough, the pot generates such humidity that the loaf will rise to form the most delicious, thick, toothsome and crunchy crust that alas, your gannets will most enthusiastically devour the lot before you shout "Knife!" :LOL:

Don't kids just shovel it away?! :rolleyes:

One other thing you can do with a 'niner' is upside-down, it resembles a bell, and inside on a baking sheet, you could bake a loaf of bread. For thanks to the dough, the pot generates such humidity that the loaf will rise to form the most delicious, thick, toothsome and crunchy crust that alas, your gannets will most enthusiastically devour the lot before you shout "Knife!" :LOL:

Don't kids just shovel it away?! :rolleyes:

That's a great idea.! Thank you. :flowers: I love artisan breads, that's a much safer method then some alternatives I've tried to get a crust that good.. Seriously going to try your suggestion soon.

Munky.

...The oven racks had me a little concerned. They sagged a little from the weight...

I have a 7.25 Quart LeCrueset DO and have the same problem. Fully loaded that thing put a bend into one of my oven racks. SO made a layer cake and complained the oven wasn't level when it was the bent rack that was causing her the problem. I had to "unbend" it by hand.

Back
Top Bottom