Lump formation during candy cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zagash

Assistant Cook
i really hope someone can help me out here.i often experience sugar lumps during candy cooking in the candy processing plant where i work.The recipe include glucose syrup,water,sugar and other additives.the sugar-water ratio is 40-60.the cooking is done at a temp.of about 140 deg. celcius and pressure of about 4.5-5.1 bar.The sugar,glucose are first dissolved in a tank of water at about 90 deg celcius to ensure a complete homogenity of the solution.the syrup is now sent to a pre dissolver unit for proper dissolution of the mixture before been sent to the cooker at the conditions mentioned.the problem is that recently,i'm beginning to get some lump formation in my final product and have tried all sorts of methods including reducing the sugar content but to no avail.please i need helps on what other things i need to do.contributions shall be highly appreciated.

sounds like it could be a cooking/cooling issue where some of the crystals are getting into the mix and making the sugar seize. Are the vessels being cleaned? Are there covers to help steam down the sides of the cooking vessel? Is the lump more soft, white and gummy, or powdery/chalky?

Back
Top Bottom