Budget friendly appys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
My daughter's 1st birthday party is Saturday & unfortunately we've just had to tighten our budget. As she is only 1, the guests will be mostly our friends, so only a couple kids will be there. I'm looking for ideas for budget-friendly appetizers. The party is outside & the weather will likely be in the 70s or 80s. We'll be bringing a cooler, but food has to be able to sit out in small portions at least.
Here's what we have planned so far:
Veggies & pita chips with hummus & tzaziki
Popcorn tossed in garlic & parmesan
Marinated, grilled chicken skewers
Toasts with marinated cucumber & feta

The apps we have so far sort of have a Greek/Mediterranean theme, but obviously, as in the case of the hummus & popcorn, it's more important that it just tastes good together. We're looking for a couple more, possibly a couple kid-friendly ideas, since the only one we really have so far is the popcorn. Also,any suggestions for a good marinade for the skewers? I'm fine with home-made or a good store-bought marinade/dressing. I found a hummus recipe I'm planning on using, but if anyone has a particular favorite that's a crowd pleaser, feel free to share. Thanks!

My daughter's 1st birthday party is Saturday & unfortunately we've just had to tighten our budget. As she is only 1, the guests will be mostly our friends, so only a couple kids will be there. I'm looking for ideas for budget-friendly appetizers. The party is outside & the weather will likely be in the 70s or 80s. We'll be bringing a cooler, but food has to be able to sit out in small portions at least.
Here's what we have planned so far:
Veggies & pita chips with hummus & tzaziki
Popcorn tossed in garlic & parmesan
Marinated, grilled chicken skewers
Toasts with marinated cucumber & feta

The apps we have so far sort of have a Greek/Mediterranean theme, but obviously, as in the case of the hummus & popcorn, it's more important that it just tastes good together. We're looking for a couple more, possibly a couple kid-friendly ideas, since the only one we really have so far is the popcorn. Also,any suggestions for a good marinade for the skewers? I'm fine with home-made or a good store-bought marinade/dressing. I found a hummus recipe I'm planning on using, but if anyone has a particular favorite that's a crowd pleaser, feel free to share. Thanks!
You could do skewers of bananas,peach pieces,melon,grapes kids love fruit, If only for the kids make the plae a kids only, I had to do do that for the people who gragze and don't care what iss for the kids. Mine also love tiny pieces of bread with peanut butter and minced ham. good luck and Happy Birthday to you child
kadesma

How about grilling some mushrooms on rosemary sprigs to keep the mediterrean theme.They would go with your chicken too.
Ground Lamb kabobs if you want another protein.

Grilled marinated eggplant,zucchini,red bell peppers,red onions

Corn is also cheap right now here. A corn salad with medeterrean flavors would work too.

Bruschetta!

Whatever is cheap and fresh can be made mediterrean style.

Garlic, oregano, lemon juice and rosemary for your marinade. Mmmmm!

You could do mini pita pockets for the kids. I get those at Costco. You could also do mini bagel pizza bites with any kind of mediterranean theme. How about sliced tomatoes, goat cheese and basil leaves drizzled with olive oil? Mmmmmmm! I'm making myself hungry!

Garlic, oregano, lemon juice and rosemary for your marinade. Mmmmm!

You could do mini pita pockets for the kids. I get those at Costco. You could also do mini bagel pizza bites with any kind of mediterranean theme. How about sliced tomatoes, goat cheese and basil leaves drizzled with olive oil? Mmmmmmm! I'm making myself hungry!

Your making ME hungry!

Kids love this (and so do adults). I toast the pecans first, and use fresh orange juice:
TIKE TREAT
Tike Treat Recipe - Food.com - 96676

This is a really good dip/spread. I thin it out a little with extra milk or sour cream, add extra hot sauce and chili powder, double the canned green chiles, and use all extra sharp cheddar instead of a combination of Monterey Jack and cheddar. (can also be served warm):
GREEN CHILE CHEESE SPREAD
Infinity Food Recipes, Healthy Food Recipes, Vegetarins Recipes...: Green Chile Cheese Spread

Last edited:
Welcome to DC Sprout!

Your dad writes some of the most informative posts here. I'm always learning something new. He saved our Thanksgiving Pie! :) My boys don't want it any other way now.

Not sure of the age group for the kids. Jello jigglers for toddlers were always popular with kids. Cubed in dixie cups. If the weather is nice fruit freezie pops in those little mini cups were fun and easy to make. Since it will be outside the kids can carry it around ( Good idea!) no mess for you. :)

Here's a link for a few more ideas.
Smart Snacks for Kids
Ok the skewers and tooth picks personally are weapons that kids can't have. LOL!

Enjoy the BIG day.

Munky

One of the easiest and least expensive is a tub or block of cream cheese, topped with either hot pepper jelly or chutney. It always disappears, but only takes seconds to make, and either put out crackers, slices of bread, or wedges of pita or some other kind of flat bread.

Never underestimate the power of potluck. In my social community, we're all 50-70 years old and all live on restricted budgets. (I'm close to the baby at 55). We're all happy to get an invitation and more than happy to bring a dish. I usually ask folk to bring "finger food" ... depending on the season it can be anything from a box of cookies to nachos to ... well, anything.

A taco bar can be fun and cheap. Refried beans, taco-meat, chili, chili con queso, etc set out with bags of chips and a stack of tortillias is always popular (with a variety of salsas, some shredded cheese and lettuce).

Hmmm .. now that I think of it I always have a slew of kiddies at my parties, so saying we're all middle aged or above must be a lie.

Anything wrapped in crepes, either savory or sweet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom