Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   General Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   What to do with avocados (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/what-to-do-with-avocados-66837.html)

acc2020 09-09-2010 05:40 AM

What to do with avocados

Except for guacomole what can i do with them?

Selkie 09-09-2010 06:44 AM

Avocado sandwiches
Avocado & Mango Salad
Corn, Avocado & Tomato salad
Chicken and Avocado Egg Rolls
Grilled Lobster & Avocado Cocktail
Avocado Soup
Avocado Salsa

...to name a few.

bigdaddy3k 09-09-2010 07:43 AM

The other night, I made walnut pesto with chicken, fresh tomaotes (diced) and ripe avocados (diced).

I boiled the pasta in a tomato bullion and then drained it over the tomatoes to bring them up to temp without overcooking.

I made the pesto first and then diced the avocadoes into the pesto sauce. The oil of the pesto kept the avos from turning brown while I did everything else.

It was very tasty and the little bursts of avocado flavor were delightful.

Zhizara 09-09-2010 08:30 AM

Cut them in half and stuff with shrimp salad, chicken salad, etc. Take a little slice off the bottom to keep it from rolling.

Andy M. 09-09-2010 08:37 AM

I asked this same question a while ago. The bottom line is that you don't really cook with avocados. They are basically used in salads and as garnishes.

4meandthem 09-09-2010 09:06 AM

They make a great smoothie too.

Zhizara 09-09-2010 09:37 AM

I never heard of avocado soup, but it sounds really yummy. Do you have a basic recipe? I'm thinking cream of avocado, not guacamole soup.

Zhizara 09-09-2010 09:48 AM

Avocado Soup

This soup is delicious hot or cold. While this recipe makes four servings, each just under one cup, you may want to double it, either to accommodate more people or larger appetites.

• 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 Very ripe, large Haas avocado (see below)
  • 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/4 cup dry sherry
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Heat the chicken broth until hot, not boiling. Set aside.

Peel the avocado and remove the seed. Cut into several pieces, place in the food processor or blender, and purée. Turn off the blender and pour in the whipping cream, followed by the hot chicken broth, cumin, salt, white pepper, sherry and lemon juice. Pulse a few times, just until mixture is blended. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if desired.

Serve immediately, or chill for at least two hours and serve.

I copied this one from Grandma's Cookbook site. Sounds delicious. The see below refers to a preference for Haas avocados.

Katie H 09-09-2010 10:24 AM

I love to "dress up" our BLTs with thin slices of avocado. Ohhhh, yummy.

Kayelle 09-09-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie E (Post 919014)
I love to "dress up" our BLTs with thin slices of avocado. Ohhhh, yummy.

One of my favorite ways with avocado, Katie!!

We grow lots of avocado's in these parts and we often go to the Avocado Festival near us. I had a slice of desert avocado pie.......it was without a doubt the most most disgusting desert I ever tasted.I still shudder when I think of it. :sick::yuk: