Tuesday's Table 9/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Littlechef

Senior Cook
Good morning,

Lots of laundry and cleaning to do today.

Dinner will be spaghetti and meatballs, sauteed escarole, and garlic bread.

HAGD:chef:

If I have the energy and get moving, I will be making butter chicken with jasmine rice and naan.

As of now the menu is: Apple & sage pork chops (McCormick Recipe Inspirations), steamed asparagus (butter & fresh grated Romano & Parmesan cheeses), mushroom & onion black quinoa pilaf (sliced mushroom caps & onion sautéed in butter, quinoa, salt, ground black pepper & beef broth added) and mixed greens & tomato salad (fresh buttermilk ranch dressing, salad supreme & slivered almonds).

I have never made quinoa before so if someone can answer a question for me it would be much apreciated: Can/should I saute/toast the quinoa in the butter before adding the broth like I do with rice pilaf?

Last edited:
I have never made quinoa before so if someone can answer a question for me it would be much apreciated: Can/should I saute/toast the quinoa in the butter before adding the broth like I do with rice pilaf?

I do know you need to rinse quinoa well before using to remove the bitter taste. I looked at several recipes on different sites, none mentioned saute'/toasting before adding broth.

All the recipes I saw used a "basic" cooked quinoa before adding to a recipe:

The Basic Quinoa Recipe Rinse quinoa well in cold water before cooking.

2 cups water
1 cup quinoa
Place quinoa and water in a 1-½ quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed (about 15 minutes).

You will know that the quinoa is done when all the grains have turned from white to transparent, and the spiral-like germ has separated. Makes 3 cups.

I do know you need to rinse quinoa well before using to remove the bitter taste. I looked at several recipes on different sites, none mentioned saute'/toasting before adding broth.

2 cups water
1 cup quinoa
Place quinoa and water in a 1-½ quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed (about 15 minutes).

You will know that the quinoa is done when all the grains have turned from white to transparent, and the spiral-like germ has separated. Makes 3 cups.
Thank you. That is the exact recipe from the box I have. BUT on my box it says it is prewashed. Ok I will just follow the pilaf recipe on my box and hope I can trick my family into thinking this healthy food is a GREAT carb replacement!! LOL

2 cups water
1 cup quinoa

The one and only time I had quinoa it was toasted. It was fantastic, and you could tell that the toasting was necessary for that great flavor. So, YES do toast it, you won't be sorry.

Dinner today will be the lima beans I made yesterday. After taking the meat off the pork roast, there really wasn't much meat, so I had thawed two chicken thighs I had frozen after making chicken stock and added most of that meat. It should be really good after sitting in the fridge overnight.

If I have the energy and get moving, I will be making butter chicken with jasmine rice and naan.

Butter chicken it is. I'm using a recipe from my neighbor that was delicious when he made it. I already found one omission from his recipe so I'm not really sure what to expect. His wife gave me the tandoori chicken recipe and it took her three revisions to get it right because she had no concept of amounts.

I had to run out to get some black and green cardamom pods, green chilies and stuff so I could make it. Butter chicken is actually tandoori chicken in a curry.

I have my fingers crossed.

Ling cod steaks in foil packs baked with asian greens and king/oyster mushrooms.Pan fried Poncit noodles with flowering garlic chives and a little scrambled egg.
Snow peas and red onion with some hoisin and sesame seeds.

Ham steaks with apple & cinnamon topping, and scalloped potatoes. Green salad on the side.

Ham steaks with apple & cinnamon topping, and scalloped potatoes. Green salad on the side.

I'll have what Dave's having :)

Actually, I am cheating today. I bought a precooked pot roast that I just have to heat in the oven. I will do baby red potatoes, and sauteed snap peas with onion & red pepper as the sides.

I'll have what Dave's having :)

Actually, I am cheating today. I bought a precooked pot roast that I just have to heat in the oven. I will do baby red potatoes, and sauteed snap peas with onion & red pepper as the sides.

Come on over. 'tater are in the oven now.

I have had the precooked pot roast from BJ's (like a Costco) and it was pretty good.

The one and only time I had quinoa it was toasted. It was fantastic, and you could tell that the toasting was necessary for that great flavor. So, YES do toast it, you won't be sorry.

For some good info on Quinoa check out this blog post. And yes it can be toasted.

Eating Chilean: Chilean Quinoa
Thank you for the info!! I didn't toast it this time but will next time. It took longer than the stated time for it to absorb the broth. I am thinking of making it like a cereal. Cooking it in water and milk with butter, sugar free maple syrup and Ideal brown sugar flavor sweetner.

Here is dinner:
Apple & sage pork chops (McCormick Recipe Inspirations), steamed thin asparagus (butter & fresh grated Romano & Parmesan cheeses), black quinoa pilaf (sliced mushroom caps & onion sautéed in butter then black quinoa, salt, ground black pepper & beef broth added) and tomato salad.

img_920049_0_bdc4260e98954b7d7a695c9e11d8b56c.jpg

msmofet - What a beautiful looking plate . . . the pork chop looks divine.

princessFiona60 - Good luck with your procedure this morning.

Back
Top Bottom