Still lookin' for a recipe.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I posted in the eggs/cheese/dairy forum last week, but I'm not sure how many of you look there regularly...
So, hopefully someone will see this!
(admin, please don't be mad that this is here!)

My fav breakfast restaurant has the best-ever blintzes, and I want to replicate them. I need a recipe for the inside only of these blintzes.
It is made with 3 cheeses. I'm thinking it's cottage cheese, cream cheese & something I can't figure out. (maybe mascarpone, but I really don't know) Anyway, there's also vanilla & some other ingred I can't figure out.

Please help! I'm hungry!

The next time you go to your "fav breakfast restaurant" - ask them! Most places are so afraid of being sued they will not hesitate to tell you all of the ingredients. Some will even be willing to give you the recipe.

Try this filling:

2 packages farmer's cheese (7.5 oz. each)
1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 8 oz. package small curd cottage cheese
2 large eggs
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Crumble farmer's cheese into a mixing bowl. Mix in remaining ingredients and divide equally among your crepes.

Here's another, with ricotta and mascarpone:

Ricotta Mascarpone Blintzes with Rhubarb-Strawberry Compote

6 ounces ricotta cheese
6 ounces mascarpone
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract or orange liquor
1 teaspoon lemon zest
Pinch of salt
Prepared crepes
6 cups rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 cups strawberries, cut in half lengthwise
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups sugar
Lemon juice to taste

Mix together the ricotta, mascarpone, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest and a small pinch of salt.
With the cooked side in, place the "tail" of the crepe toward you and spoon about 2 ounces of the filling inside the center of the wrapper. Fold and hold the two opposite sides of the crepe over the filling until they almost meet and then fold the "tail" over the ingredients pulling the stuffing toward you. Fold the crepe over until you form a seam on the blintz. Set finished 2-inch by 1 1/2-inch flat "eggroll" shaped blintz on a dry towel with the seam side down.
Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium high heat, beginning with the seam side down. Saute each blintz until golden brown, carefully so the cheese does not escape. Flip the blintz onto the other side. To warm the ingredients in the blintz, lower the flame and cook slowly, about 2 to 5 minutes to avoid burning the crepe.
Gently toss the rhubarb, strawberries, flour, sugar and lemon and let stand until moist, 5 to 10 minutes. In a large saucepan, melt the butter and add the fruit mixture. Cook the fruit for approximately 35 minutes, stirring to make sure the fruit does not brown. Cover 5 minutes or until rhubarb is soft. Ladle the warm fruit over the blintz and top with a dollop of whipped cream. Garnish with a fresh strawberry half.

Hmmm, jkath...
The thing (if you will) I like about blintzes, are that they're light and airy. Usually made up with cottage cheese, egg, vanilla, sometimes lemon juice. Never heard of one with mascarpone...sounds more like a heavy dessert crepe to me. That's not to say it wouldn't be a good dish...just doesn't sound like a blintz to me.

I'm in California too & wondered which restaurant? I have many recipes for blintzes, one has no cheese, apples with a caramel sauce. But, then again, to me, that's not a blintz. Have another for a blintz souffle - but requires store bought frozen blintzes & if I recall some orange juice(?) incorporated in the sauce. (Would have to go look it up. If you like, gimme a holler.)

Well, there's only one (that's always the best kind, IMO)
and it's near the 210/57 split.
If you are anywhere near there, PM me & I'll give you directions.
I'd drive an hour for this place!

jkath said:
Well, there's only one (that's always the best kind, IMO)
and it's near the 210/57 split.
If you are anywhere near there, PM me & I'll give you directions.
I'd drive an hour for this place!

LOL. Give us names jkath, we want names. :D

Eons ago, Canter's use-ta-be okay. Haven't been there in ages. One of my favorites there was the black n white cookie. Missed that cookie, since I left New Yawk. If you're ever in the Farmer's Market area, it's a great place to buy fruit veggies, & some home cookin' inexpensive meals. A nice day outing to walk about.

Last night I had kasha varnishkas w lots butter & a hot dog w mustard n relish. MMM was really good. Only thing I missed was a potato knish like my grandma used to make.

Didn't Canter's close up a couple of years ago?

What exactly is a kasha varnishka? Sounds russian or polish...which means extra heavy on the good stuff! :D

Okay - here's the goods:
Flappy Jack's on Route 66 in Glendora, CA

I'm assuming you are in Los Angeles, so,
134 East to the 210 East, passing Pasadena, Arcadia, Monrovia,
The Miller Beer plant (a landmark!) and then start looking for the Grand exit. Take Grand North. Continue going North to Route 66 (about 1/2 mile)
Left on 66. About a block or so on the left is Flappy Jack's, on the SE corner of Route 66 and Vecino. It's blue - you can't miss it, and if you are there on a weekend, expect to wait 20 - 60 minutes.

Another jewel that I'd drive for an hour is on (approximately) the SW corner of the same streets.
Petrillo's Italian - aaaaaaaaah!

Canter's closed? Boo Hoo. Mustabeen those cranky waitresses :D

Yep, I'm in L.A. Thanks for the directions. It must be a good place. I googled it up & even found a tiny pic & a recipe for Happy Flappy Jack Pancakes - but no luck on the blintzes. Sorry. Here's a link with a pic & recipe for the kasha varnishkas. I eat them with lots of butter. You were close - my Hungarian grandma used to make them with borscht (sp?)

http://www.child.com/living_in_style/parties_recipes/potluck_party.jsp?page=5

Oh my gosh! I have to ask my dad if this sounds familiar!
His mom came to the US from Poland just a couple of years after the Grandma in the story.....I bet he's had that :)
It sounds like such comfort food!

PM me if you'd like to meet at Flappy's some morning :)

jkath said:
Oh my gosh! I have to ask my dad if this sounds familiar!
His mom came to the US from Poland just a couple of years after the Grandma in the story.....I bet he's had that :)
It sounds like such comfort food!

PM me if you'd like to meet at Flappy's some morning :)

Jkath, amazing coincidence...my grandma came to U.S. from Hungary (perhaps around that time). She met my grandpa here in the US who was from Poland & the rest is history. Smiled when I read the article, because my grandma (probably like everyone else's grandma), would say - I don't have it written down, just watch me.

If you'd like to give the dish a try, in the market (perhaps in the ethnic section) buy a box of kasha. The directions for kasha varnishkas (bow tie noodles/farfelle) is probably on the back of the box. She also made dishes like liver, meat, kasha or potato knishes, Hungarian goulash, flanken, kreplach, so many comfort food dishes. Wish I could duplicate. Hoping people will jump in & share.

Also, googled up Petrillo's. Saw all rave reviews. Thank you for sharing with us & the invite. So glad I found this site & the folks here.

Back
Top Bottom