Canned kosher pickles question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trishak

Assistant Cook
hello all - new to this and would love some advice. canned kosher dills a month ago -- traditional fresh pack method. this is my second year canning thus and seemingly everything went well however when i opened my first jar it appeared some fermentation had taken place...the tiniest amount of bubbles. are these safe to eat? and, if so how quickly should we go thru my dozen or so pints before they aren't safe any longer? thanks

I am not a canning expert by any means so I am in no way telling you that what you have is safe or not safe, but...

I have noticed that with store bought pickles before. They get very small bubbles and tickle the tongue. The first time I have that happen I was nervous they had gone bad, but someone assured me they had not. Now I love when I get pickles like that. It is like carbonated pickles. Of course these were commercially packaged so I can not say that home canned is the same.

There should be no fermentation when in the jar since the canning process stops everything....unless of course the jar becomes unsealed.

Small bubbles can form on the surface of food when canned caused by natural air found in produce which comes out when heated. Generally only noticed when produce is packed raw/cold. This also causes the food to tend to float. The effect disappears after the jar cools and most of the air is reabsorbed.

Hmmm...mcnerd I would normally defer to your expertise as you are one very smart cookie (especially about canning) and have saved my butt more than once; but all my pickles have little bubbles and taste fermented. I KNOW the jars are sealed because I've had to pry the lids off with a knife. With the kosher method I think something about the salt content might cause the bubbles?

I'm no expert, I'm only speaking from my personal experience.

GB, I've had that "tingling" sensation too. Usually only with the homemade pickles or the dills I get at the market that say "kosher" dills.

Could it be the salt do you suppose?

Hard to say without knowing the recipe details. I've known people to have strange taste responses from Lime or Alum when not rinsed sufficiently.

Back
Top Bottom