Trouble with cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chaoswalker

Assistant Cook
So here's the situation. My friend and I are working on a project for school where we have to sell something. We decided on cookies. But not just any cookies, cookie blocks. In short, we wanted something rectangular with a more cube like shape. Our original idea was to bake a giant cookie in a cake pan and cut it after baking. The problem was, it wasn't thick enough, and it certainly wasn't hard enough. We plan to decrease the butter, but we're still not sure if it will turn out right. We want something about an inch and a half thick. What do you recomend?

Brownies! Cookies that thick will not cook all the way through and decreasing the butter will make them crumbly and they will fall apart. Alternateively, you could bake them in a 9x9 inch pan, but I really don't think they will cook all the way through before they start burning.

Bar cookies is right.

I tried baking cookies for awhile. What I learned was DO NOT TRY TO MAKE SUBSTITUTIONS. They don't work. I buy store bought cookies because I couldn't resist trying to make changes or substitutions and failing to get decent cookies 95% of the time.

Besides store bought doesn't make such a mess!

I make a cake type brownie -- as opposed to a chewy brownie -- and it turns out 1 1/2 inches thick and is cooked all the way through. The brownie is good plain, but it irresistable when frosted with a buttercream chocolate frosting.

Whatever happened to:
Rice Krispy Marshmallow squares?
Date Bars
Fig Bars
Peanut Butter & Grape Jelly Bars

A couple of these have been around for nearly a century! :)

If your recipe calls for baking soda, substituting baking powder will make your cookies thicker, but I'm not sure if it's an even substitution or what ratio is involved. My uncle was famous (in our family) for his super thick chocolate chip cookies, as thick as you're talking about. He's passed on and kept most of his recipes in his head, but that one was popular enough some of his kids may have it. I'll see what I can dig up for you. I won't promise it will work as a bar though, I tend to agree with those above, that it may not cook through before the edges scorch. Worth a try though, right? You might try it in a mini-loaf pan before going all out for a cake pan.

Zhizara, sorry about your luck with substitutions. I've had quite a few experiments with cookies turn out great. I've certainly had some pretty awful failures, but the successes have made it worth it.:) The only problem with substituting while baking is that you won't know something's gone wrong until it's too late to fix it, so a lot of times you just have to start over.

Shortbread and the aforementioned Rice Krispy Treats will both satisfy your needs. Shortbread baked in a pan can be as thick as you want, and cuts nicely into squares. The Rice Krispy Treats can be made with cocoa powder added to give you a chocolate version of the same. Fudge would also serve your purpose.

Here are two recipes, one of my own creation, that can be made as thick as you desire. Just double the recipes. Hope something here helps you. Oh, and Sprout should be able to come through for you with the thick chocolate chip cookie. The uncle she spoke about used baking powder instead of baking soda, and added a bit of water to the standard recipe to create a more cake-like cookie. I don't have the recipe either, but will contact certain people to try and get it.

NO BAKE CHOCOLATE OATMEAL COOKIES
Ingredients:
1 stick butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
1 tbs. vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups rolled oats

Combine the butter, cocoa, milk, sugar, vanilla and peanut butter into a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil and cook for 1 minute. Add oats and mix well. Remove from heat.

Pour into a buttered cake pan.

Vanilla No-Bake Cookies

1 c Sugar
3 Egg yolks; slightly beaten
¼ cup milk
1 ts Vanilla
1/2 c Butter
1 cup rolled oats
1 1/3 c Coconut
1 cup Chopped pecans

Combine sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, add coconut and pecans. Pour into a buttered cake pan.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom