Caramel cookies recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrewW

Assistant Cook
I recently purchased a few assorted cookies from a local bread and desert shop. One of which was a dark gooey and chewy rich caramel cookie. The cookie seemed to be a basic dough with caramel added halfway through the baking to let it soak into and ontop of the basic cookie from what I assume. I've been looking around for a recipe to mock and work on myself and can't find anything really close. I'm basically looking for a recipe that constructs a basic cookie dough that uses caramel as the highlight like the cookie I bought. Thanks to all who can help!

I'm not sure what is meant by "basic cookie dough." Was the cookie dough a rolled dough like a sugar cookie ... or was it dropped dough like chocolate chip?

I'm not sure about the premise of adding caramel halfway through the baking process. This seems cumbersome. It would make more sense to make an indentation in the center of each cookie prior to baking it. As soon as the cookies came out of the oven, I'd add Dulce de leche milk caramel via a pastry bag. The residual heat would help melt the caramel.

This might help get you started....

Caramel Pecan Treasures (1991 1st Place Winner)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Chicago Tribune Annual Food Guide Holiday Cookie Contest
Serving Size: 60
Yield: 60 cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup Butter, softened
3/4 cup Lightly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 3/4 cups All-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
12 ounces Semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon Vegetable shortening
25 Caramels, cut in half, up to 30 rolled into balls
Finely chopped pecans

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 325℉. Have ungreased baking sheets ready.

2. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla in large mixer bowl until well-mixed. Stir in flour and baking powder. (If kitchen is warm, refrigerate dough for a few minutes; dough should be firm enough to roll easily.) Shape scant teaspoonsful of dough into balls about the size of a marble. Place on baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between cookies. Flatten slightly.

3. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.

4. Melt chocolate chips with shortening in top of double boiler set over simmering water. Remove from heat.

5. Flatten caramel halves so they are the same diameter as the cookie. Put one caramel half on top of each cookie. (If necessary, use a dab of chocolate as "glue" to help caramel adhere to cookie.) Using a small metal spatula, spread melted chocolate thinly over top and sides of caramel and cookie to cover. Press chopped pecans onto tops of cookies. Let stand on a wire rack until chocolate firms (refrigerate if desired), about 20 minutes. Put into individual paper wrappers. Store in a cookie tin with a piece of wax paper between each layer.

Notes:

The first-place winner of the Tribune's 1991 Holiday Cookie Contest is Elaine Rysner. She prefers to make the cookies small - about the diameter of a quarter. Use high-quality caramels and chocolate for the best cookies.

From the Chicago Tribune fourth annual Food Guide Holiday Cookie Contest December 5, 1991

I recently purchased a few assorted cookies from a local bread and desert shop. One of which was a dark gooey and chewy rich caramel cookie. The cookie seemed to be a basic dough with caramel added halfway through the baking to let it soak into and ontop of the basic cookie from what I assume. I've been looking around for a recipe to mock and work on myself and can't find anything really close. I'm basically looking for a recipe that constructs a basic cookie dough that uses caramel as the highlight like the cookie I bought. Thanks to all who can help!

Try this: Tollhouse cookie recipe. Don't add the chocolate chips. When putting the cookies onto the baking pan, use only half the amount you would normaly use and press it flat a little. Place a cut circle of caramel apple wrap on top, and top that with the other half of the cookie dough. Bake as you would for normal Toll House cookies. Make sure that the cookie is a little larger than the circle of caramel.

I'm not sure this is what you want, but it might get you something close. You can also use a sugar cookie dough and build it the same way.

If that doesn't work, try using caramel ice cream topping as it will liquify better and soak into the cookie. This is one that you just might have to experiment with.

Sprout could figure this one out. She's a cookie wizard.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom