Tomato Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
I just got done canning 10 quarts of our home grown tomatoes. I know it's not much but I must say that it is so totally sastifying. I think the best part for me...even beyond the winter eating of the fruit...is hearing that nice little "ping" when the jars seal. Okay, so I'm weird but It does make me feel good.

Hey Joe, if you're weird enough ;) to can 10 quarts of tomatoes, being pleased by the ping would be normal. It means you're done with the canning process!

Now you have months of great tasting tomatoes to cook with. Then you can get excited about how great your dishes come out!

Months!!! I wish. Ten quarts won't go far in our house but they will be good while they last.

My kitchen is about 6 by 10 and our gardens are tiny raised beds. I end up hiding canned goods under the beds. You do what you have to.:neutral:

I only have 4 foot of counterspace...12" on each side of the sink and 12" on each side of the stove. Live in a daylight basement apartment with a set of steps for my outside space. Baking bread is a chore, but I do get it done. Canning OTOH needs a bit more space! And a garden is out of the question.:glare:

I only have 4 foot of counterspace...12" on each side of the sink and 12" on each side of the stove. Live in a daylight basement apartment with a set of steps for my outside space. Baking bread is a chore, but I do get it done. Canning OTOH needs a bit more space! And a garden is out of the question.:glare:

I used to live in a small aprtment where my kitchen was in my hallway. I had two small counters about a foot a piece, a small fridge and stove/oven - no microwave or any thing else. I had no room for blenders or rice cookers or crock pots.

Now when I think back on my small apartment and how much I produced out of that kitchen with a butter knife as my slicing tool it is calming. Somehow when I had to live on a penny I expierienced more of a sense of accomplishment. Remembering that makes me feel like I live a life of kings now! At least I have proper knives to cut with! It's fun to remember those times.

I used to live in a small aprtment where my kitchen was in my hallway. I had two small counters about a foot a piece, a small fridge and stove/oven - no microwave or any thing else. I had no room for blenders or rice cookers or crock pots.

Now when I think back on my small apartment and how much I produced out of that kitchen with a butter knife as my slicing tool it is calming. Somehow when I had to live on a penny I expierienced more of a sense of accomplishment. Remembering that makes me feel like I live a life of kings now! At least I have proper knives to cut with! It's fun to remember those times.

I do produce alot out of this tiny kitchen and plans are in the works for a move to a rented house with a yard and a KITCHEN! But, it got left to late this year, will have to wait until the students go home in the spring:ROFLMAO:

But, yeah...our first kitchen was a sink and a stove, no counter and I managed Shrimp Scampi with fresh noodles in that one. Funny how spoiled we get with the more we have.

I do produce alot out of this tiny kitchen and plans are in the works for a move to a rented house with a yard and a KITCHEN! But, it got left to late this year, will have to wait until the students go home in the spring:ROFLMAO:

But, yeah...our first kitchen was a sink and a stove, no counter and I managed Shrimp Scampi with fresh noodles in that one. Funny how spoiled we get with the more we have.

Oh No! Well may this time between now and spring pass quickly.

What you say is true but I will admit that I look forward to being more spoiled. My dream kitchen would have the stove in the middle or plenty of space so that I can FIRE UP! :furious:

:chef:

Oh No! Well may this time between now and spring pass quickly.

What you say is true but I will admit that I look forward to being more spoiled. My dream kitchen would have the stove in the middle or plenty of space so that I can FIRE UP! :furious:

:chef:

My dream kitchen is in Lottery Dream land. I want a kitchen with a bedroom and bathroom attached!:LOL:

I know what you are going through. I once lived in a cabin with a kitchen livingroom combination. No stove or counters, just two gas burners. Thank God there were two of them. Now we are attempting to buy an old farmhouse on a short sale. It has a big country kitchen and a formal dining room. Man I hope we get it. And not only that but there is ton of room to put a canning kitchen in the basement. No more heated up house!

I know what you are going through. I once lived in a cabin with a kitchen livingroom combination. No stove or counters, just two gas burners. Thank God there were two of them. Now we are attempting to buy an old farmhouse on a short sale. It has a big country kitchen and a formal dining room. Man I hope we get it. And not only that but there is ton of room to put a canning kitchen in the basement. No more heated up house!

Good luck! Sounds like a dream house. Lots of room for a big garden???

Good luck! Sounds like a dream house. Lots of room for a big garden???

You betcha. It's almost a totally shaded lot except for one nice big space that is sunny and it is already fenced and has an underground sprinkling system!! More than an acre of land on the main drag between a church and a beautiful historical home. And it's a short sale so the price is unbelieveable. I can't wait! But I have to, it is a short sale. They take forever.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom