What was the first dish you learned to cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
I am pretty sure mine was Fettucini Alfredo.

I did a lot of cooking for my parents and little sister when I was in High School.Step Mom was a crappy cook (still is) and I liked to eat. (still do)

We did fine dining well though! Just not often enough!

The first one I remember cooking on my own is an orange chicken and mushroom dish that was in one of those recipe files my Mom used to have back in the 70's. (Of course she through out the file last year just before I thought to ask her to find the card for me)

I used to help with cookie baking at christmas and I was the grill-person in the summers but that is the first "dish" I can remember making.

I don't remember. Not even the littlest clue.

Unless you count chocolate chip pancakes I used to make for the girls when they were little.

The first dish I ever made from a recipe was a Cheese Souffle' from my mother's cookbook. Why I chose something so difficult as a first recipe, I'll never know, but it turned out fabulous. I was only about 10 yrs old, and had no help at all with it. My parents thought I was a culinary genius or something. :rolleyes: I think that first success was the foundation for my love of cooking. As most of us know, nothing promotes good cooking like the praise of those we love.:wub:

First thing I ever cooked, oatmeal.

I've been cooking since I could drag a chair to the stove. I'm sure it was chicken or goulash. First meal I did on my own was for Thanksgiving, Mom was sick, I took it over so we could have the meal we planned. I had been watching it all for years...I was 12.

Fried bacon with fried eggs cooked in and basted with bacon grease, all with toast, jelly, and a glass of milk.

First creative dish - Canned sardines, dipped in egg wash and dredged in uncooked farina (cream of wheat), then fried in cooking oil. I thought it tasted great. My parents got home and asked what that terrible smell was.:LOL: That was at about 12 years of age, and I've been cooking crazy things ever since.;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

There are some pretty amazing stories here. Thanksgiving dinner at 12. A souffle at 10. Seems like people taking care of their family is the common thread. Chef's hat off to all of you!

I grew up learning how to grill steaks and smoke briskets and ribs. Common everyday fare on the Llano Estacado out in west Texas.

Scout badge - (age 7): Fried Pork Chops, Mashed Potatoes, Peas, Blackberries with sauce on Ice Cream.

The first thing I made was chocolate pudding. It was from a box and was the kind you cook, since they didn't even have instant pudding then. I think I was 13 or 14, and I decided to surprise my family with it. I wanted to express myself and be creative, so I added walnuts and marshmallows to it. My first meal was hamburger stew. I was around the same age, and my mom told me the steps as I made it. The first time she had made it was in the Girl Scouts. I still make it a couple times a year. :cool:

:)Barbara

baked chicken I think or cookies- I started cooking when I was about 10 -12 yrs old. Alway was in the kitchen w/ my mom and probably got under foot and she gave me something to do.

My first dish was an attempt to make a Hamburger Helper type of meal using cream of soup, hamburger, onion and macaroni or egg noodles. Depending of the type of soup, I seasoned it with sour cream (mushroom soup) for stroganoff, or Italian seasoning (tomato soup).

It was tasty and easy so I tried all different combinations. We just called it goop!

I started cooking, out of necessity, for my family when I was 8-years-old and can't honestly remember the first thing I cooked. Been at it ever since.

All along the way, though, I baked many, many cakes, cookies and pies since my siblings and my father all had the biggest sweet tooth/teeth in the universe.

Guess one of the favorites my youngest brother still talks about and requests is my potato soup.

I don't remember. Not even the littlest clue.

Unless you count chocolate chip pancakes I used to make for the girls when they were little.

I guess the memories are buried a little deeper so take longer for me to bring them to the surface.

After thinking about this for a bit, I have to say I still don't remember what was first. I can tell you that I regularly cooked as a Boy Scout on camping trips. That was usually basic stuff. Meat on a skewer, baked potato in the coals, etc. On special occasions, we'd roast a chicken on a spit over an open fire. Those are my earliest memories.

We did discover that we couldn't fry an egg on aluminum foil over an open fire.

At home, Mom started me cooking by having me make a cake mix for dessert ("If you want dessert, make it yourself". I always wanted dessert).

I guess the memories are buried a little deeper so take longer for me to bring them to the surface.

After thinking about this for a bit, I have to say I still don't remember what was first. I can tell you that I regularly cooked as a Boy Scout on camping trips. That was usually basic stuff. Meat on a skewer, baked potato in the coals, etc. On special occasions, we'd roast a chicken on a spit over an open fire. Those are my earliest memories.

We did discover that we couldn't fry an egg on aluminum foil over an open fire.

At home, Mom started me cooking by having me make a cake mix for dessert ("If you want dessert, make it yourself". I always wanted dessert).

I didn't get to be in the scouts! My big brother did! I went to one of his meetings and beat up the scout leaders kid.I don't remember why but that was the the extent of my scouting.I know I missed out!I was probabaly 7 or 8.

Polish style pigs in the blanket...just last year. Never, ever cooked before except for heating up things. I really think being in the kitchen is fascinating especially cleaning up things in the kitchen when things are cooking.

Growing up we called them gowomkies(sp)<--- and that would be spelling it the way I say it.

Yes they are labor intensive but us retired guys got to find indoor things to do when it raining.

I don't think this will be of any surprise to anyone - cake :rolleyes:

....no really! The first thing I learned to make was a lazy daisy (or hot milk) cake. I guess the rest is history!

Back
Top Bottom