More Cake Doughtnut Icing Help, Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonofdays

Assistant Cook
I'm having a terrible time finding a good frosting/icing for my cake doughnuts. I posted here in early July about modifying my icing recipe, tried it and was pleased with the results but ultimately discouraged because it still wasn't what I wanted. Review these pictures, please:

cakedoughnutglazed.jpg

Giant-Donut-Cake-Pan-Set.jpg

20100604-donuts-500.jpg

Of the three, I'm personally most intrigued by the last image, but I'm sure they're all very similar. Can somebody please tell me how to make icing like this? I imagine it's a thick concoction that requires heating the icing, dipping the doughnut, then letting the icing harden.

Also, in response to a question from my original post that I didn't see, I do bake my doughnuts. Here is a link to my recipe, if you'd like to give it a try. The page even suggests the doughnut tray (like a cupcake tray) that I prefer. I will be forever grateful to anybody that can point me towards an appropriate icing recipe =)

Last edited:
Your icing is probably not the problem, your donuts should also be hot - warm for it to spread evenly.

Your icing is probably not the problem, your donuts should also be hot - warm for it to spread evenly.

The doughnuts have been hot. The icing recipe I have just isn't icing... it's more of a glaze. I can't find any recipe for icing like what is in the pictures I posted online and could really use some suggestions.

Last edited:
The doughnuts have been hot. The icing recipe I have just isn't icing... it's more of a glaze. I can't find any recipe for icing like what is in the pictures I posted online and could really use some suggestions.

I've never done doughnuts at home, only in a bakery and I'm not sure what you are wanting. The ingredients used in the bakery are not readily available for home bakers/cooks.

I can look at a picture all day and not fathom what they used as ingredients. Not knowing what your icing recipe is and exactly why you are not satisfied with it, makes it difficult to help. Is it too runny? Too thick?

sonofdays, what you are looking for basically is a glaze. The recipe you have is good - just adjust the amounts of sugar and liquid until you get the consistency you want. I wouldn't have the donuts totally hot, but very warm when applying the glaze.

Hope that helps.

ingredients
1/2 stick butter
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup confectioner's sugar
That is the recipe I had before which I would consider a glaze. It is okay, but it isn't what I want. The glaze I have is thin and just sticky. The icing/frosting I'm looking for (in the pictures) is thick and solid (or very close) when cooled. I've tried cake frosting and that wasn't quite right, neither. I guess I need to go harrass some bakeries to see what they do.

Don't use cocoa powder for a thick glaze. Use real chocolate melted using a double boiler and then add the rest of your glaze ingredients.

Can I lick the bowl!?

Chocolate donut glaze in the bakery I worked in, was a thick fudge type, that is heated and the warm donuts dipped. It solidifies nicely and came in 5 gallon buckets.

Fondant uncooked
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup hot water
1/3 cup corn syrup

Fondant is very thick but can be thinned easily, for white, thin with small additions of HOT water. Put a spoonful on a plate to see if it is right for your icing. You can always add a little more powdered sugar if you go too far.

For Chocolate, stir in melted bittersweet or unsweetened baker's chocolate, while mixing the other ingredients. I'm sorry I don't have exact measures for the chocolate, about 6 ounces I think, you can always add more, if not chocolatey enough.

For other flavors you can add flavor extracts and food coloring.

Your recipe: I think the butter is what is keeping it sticky.

the type of glaze that you want is used in commercial bakeries and is a fondant based icing. It is very thick and not at all fluffy, it is usually warmed just slightly and dipped. Brill makes one called White and glossy, I don't know how you would make this at home.

If I had a guess it would be powdered sugar with a touch of vanilla and just enough corn syrup to make a very thick frosting, thick enough to spread with a spatula but not fluffy. Dip your hot donuts in this and let cool until set.

the type of glaze that you want is used in commercial bakeries and is a fondant based icing. It is very thick and not at all fluffy, it is usually warmed just slightly and dipped. Brill makes one called White and glossy, I don't know how you would make this at home.

I found what looks like a 5 gallon bucket of this stuff that'd be $56 with shipping. After I move next month I may buy this =)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom