How To Peel A Hardboiled Egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:pig:Now I'll be afraid to eat anything with hard boiled eggs in it that I did not make myself. You never know who thinks its a great idea to spit all over them. NASTY!:pig:

I tried this yesterday first with older eggs and with very fresh eggs. The older eggs worked like a charm. the fresher eggs did not work at all.

I tried this yesterday first with older eggs and with very fresh eggs. The older eggs worked like a charm. the fresher eggs did not work at all.

That was my suspicion. Thanks for doing the experiment and reporting the results.

No matter what I do - I have the worst luck. Nothing ever works for me.

I'm gonna try that!!
My method is - hard boil, dunk in very cold water, whack all over with the back of a spoon, crunch in hand and peel. dunking now and again in the cold water. Works.
But just for the hell of it...COPD notwithstanding.... I will try to blow them!!:)))

Call it what you like. It's an unsanitary way to peel an egg. I can't imagine any health department approving of that method for use in serving the public.
Andy, have you got any idea what goes on in most restaurants? If you did, you wouldn't eat out, if this is the way you feel:)
Grandson who is a chef and has his own restaurant, says he only eats out in spots where he knows the chef personally and knows how he runs his operation.
And anyway... we need other people's germs so that we can keep up our immunity factors. So. be not afraid:)

:sick:Colds, flu, mononucleosis - Gee, I guess I'll just go out and collect other people's saliva so I get all that immunity.

It's upsetting that so many of the DCers seem to think this is a wonderful new way to shell hard boiled eggs.

Back to your original way of doing it, MissM, if you keep the egg under running water as you peel it, once you get the membrane started, the running water will get in between the egg and the membrane and practically blow the rest of the shell off.:chef:

Zhi, I truly hope no one spits on my eggs or into the sourdough starter (there's a rumour that SF bakers do that!).
Still, the fact remains that we DO need the herd factor to boost our immunity. I don't think we need worry about getting mono from someone spitting on our eggs - it's an unlikely scenario for most chefs. If it worries you, just don't travel on a train, keep out of supermarkets and whatever you do, don't kiss anyone. Mono is not called the "Kissing disease" for nothing! :)))

Andy, have you got any idea what goes on in most restaurants? If you did, you wouldn't eat out, if this is the way you feel:)...

Zhi, I truly hope no one spits on my eggs or into the sourdough starter (there's a rumour that SF bakers do that!).
Still, the fact remains that we DO need the herd factor to boost our immunity...

I do have an idea about what goes on in restaurants. Are you excusing that kind of behavior? I don't condone it or try to perpetuate it in my kitchen.

I prefer to get my 'herd factor' from a mouth of my own choosing.

Because we are exposed to bad hygiene in some places does not excuse bad hygiene in all places.

Help. I put eggs in cold water, put a teaspoon of baking soda in, brought to a light boil, took off stove and let sit for 17 minutes. Let sit in ice bath for a long time.

I'm having a problem I've actually NEVER encountered. The egg whites are water. the yellow inside is definetely done - soft - but done. There not yolkie or anything like that.

I've never seen such a mess.

The whites aren't done? Sounds like maybe the eggs could have been sticking out of the water a little although it seems to me that they still would have cooked. I mean how can you have cooked yolks without having cooked whites?

Help. I put eggs in cold water, put a teaspoon of baking soda in, brought to a light boil, took off stove and let sit for 17 minutes. Let sit in ice bath for a long time.

I'm having a problem I've actually NEVER encountered. The egg whites are water. the yellow inside is definetely done - soft - but done. There not yolkie or anything like that.

Maybe you came up with a new way to serve eggs. Now all you have to do is name it and get the rich to think it is the new trend and you are set. :)

Eggciting

I think the most eggciting threads I've read on DC has had to do with eggs. >>referencing the how do you scramble your eggs thread! :ROFLMAO:

I have to think that the eggs didn't get hot enough. The white starts setting at around 170' F or so. Anything less and you are simply pasteurizing your eggs.

If your wter cooled too quickly, or there wasn't enough in the pot to create sufficient thermal mass, the water may have cooled quickly below the temperature required to set (cook) the eggs whites. Instead of completely removing the pan from the heat source, try turning it down until it no longer boils, then let it cook for about seven minutes for hard boiled. Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

After the eggs come to a boil take them off the fire, put a lid on the pot and let them sit for 10 minutes. Then plunge them in iced water. (and now I know to add baking soda to the water!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom