Stovetop smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
Camerons Professional Cookware

This thing was recommended to me by Katie, and I want to thank her.

I used it for the first time last night on my outdoor gas grill, and I'm doing the happy dance. My tri tip roast was the best I've ever eaten with real honest to goodness oak wood flavor throughout. When my new husband and I combined households, I gave away my beloved wood/charcoal Webber, and we kept his humongous gas grill. BIG mistake on my part, as I've really missed the flavor that up till now, I thought could only come from my Webber. Now I can have the best of both worlds, since we don't have the room for two barbecues, and certainly no room for an additional conventional smoker. You can also use this on a stovetop in the house, which I will do if or when the weather turns bad. However, living in this part of the world, that's not likely.;)
Does anyone else have experience with this smoker?

Hey, hey, hey, Kayelle...isn't this smoker the best tool? It's so easy and produces the best authentic smoked foods. Just wait until you try it inside. That's the only way I've used it and everything comes out so yummy.

Yes, I know, I sound like a commercial, but it's one of the easiest and best ways I've ever found to create the best smoked foods without the traditional method. Yum, yum, yum.

It's been a long, long time since I've been this tickled over a new cooking tool Katie. I wonder if we could get a job hawking this thing on an infomercial?
We had tri tip sandwiches for lunch from last night's leftovers and we both sounded like Sally in that scene "When Harry Met Sally". :ohmy:

I'm making a metal list of ways to use it.......have you done smoked salmon?

Last edited:
It's been a long, long time since I've been this tickled over a new cooking tool Katie. I wonder if we could get a job hawking this thing on an infomercial?
We had tri tip sandwiches for lunch from last night's leftovers and we both sounded like Sally in that scene "When Harry Met Sally". :ohmy:

I'm making a metal list of ways to use it.......have you done smoked salmon?

Yes, I've smoked salmon. Awesome...and if you make a smoked salmon Caesar salad, you REALLY will make sounds like Sally.:ROFLMAO: I promise.

I've also smoked potatoes for a twist on potato salad and smoked some hard cheeses, which turned out very well. Just let your imagination be your guide, along with the booklet that came with the smoker.

Glad you're enjoying your new toy.

I've been curious about the stovetop smoker since the first time I saw it on Emeril Live. I'm concerned about kitchen ventilation with smoke coming out of the smoker.

Also, you don't really need the smoker to smoke on the gas grill do you? Is it easier with the stovetop smoker?

Andy, there's essentially no smoke that is emitted from the smoker, except for the first wisps that are the signal to fully close the slide-on lid. As for using it on the grill, I haven't used it there but I would imagine it would allow you to smoke smaller portions with little or no "babysitting" during the smoking process.

Andy, there's essentially no smoke that is emitted from the smoker, except for the first wisps that are the signal to fully close the slide-on lid. As for using it on the grill, I haven't used it there but I would imagine it would allow you to smoke smaller portions with little or no "babysitting" during the smoking process.

That makes sense. Plus you can use fewer chips using the smoker on the grill.

Also, you don't really need the smoker to smoke on the gas grill do you?

Andy, have you found an easy way to provide smoke on a gas grill, I sure havn't.
I think I remember that you recently got a Webber in addition to your gas grill and been wondering how much you love it? Still mourning my Webber.

Andy, have you found an easy way to provide smoke on a gas grill, I sure havn't.
I think I remember that you recently got a Webber in addition to your gas grill and been wondering how much you love it? Still mourning my Webber.

I do like the Weber and use it regularly.

To smoke on the gas grill, I took the grate off on side of the grill and removed the diffuser over the end burner (my grill has three). I keep two half bricks in the bottom of the grill and stand them up on either side of the burner when I want to smoke. They are just the right height so I can lay a wood chip pan across them, over the burner. I light the burner and preheat the grill then put the food on the other side when the chips start smoking. It takes longer to describe it than to do it.

Hmmm, that sounds reasonable Andy, however even with the lid closed on my gas grill, there's a big open space at the back that is open to air and escaping smoke, unlike that dandy (vent adjustable) Webber.
Anyway, this new little smoker sure fits the bill, as there is no escaping smoke at all. Like you, I've been intrigued with the idea since I first saw Emeril use it ages ago.

Here's my latest report on this dandy little smoker. Chicken thighs tonight..our favorite choice of chicken parts..so much more flavor than breasts.
I seasoned the skin on thighs well with garlic powder, salt and pepper and placed them in the smoker with 2 tbs of the Bourbon soaked oak chips, and smoked them for 30 minutes on top of our gas grill. I opened up the smoker and I brushed them with barbecue sauce (Jack Daniels), removed the thighs from the smoker, and finished them on the open gas grill for another 15 minutes. They were just beautiful.
They were without a doubt, the most luscious, flavorful chicken thighs either of us have ever eaten.....no kidding.
I had a ball shopping for meat at the grocery today to use in this smoker.
More reports to follow.

Sounds really good. Have you used it indoors at all or are you waiting for colder weather to move in from the gas grill?

Just remembered you live in a warm climate. never mind.

Andy you are right, we can cook outdoors all year here, and we have had just gorgeous Fall weather. We love sitting out there with a nice glass of wine.
However, I'd have no fear of smoke on top of the stove inside , as not a whiff of smoke can be detected with the lid closed on this little smoker. If I had smoked the chicken thighs in the kitchen on top of the stove, I would have brushed them with sauce and finished them under the broiler with equally perfect results. This thing is just a dandy!

P.S.
If you get this smoker, do not opt for the smaller smoker like I did at first, and sent back.
Even for the two of us, is there anything more wonderful than an overload of perfectly cooked economical chicken thighs for lunches? Whoo Haaa.:clap:

Interesting smoker. If I had no way to smoke outdoors I'd definitely get one of these.
It seems very efficient as the lid essentially 'seals' the smoke within the pan. Wisps of thin blue smoke indicates the wood is burning efficiently, even if they're almost invisible.
Nice cooker...

Speaking of stove top cookers, I'm looking for a good stove top fryer.

Last edited:
...Speaking of stove top cookers, I'm looking for a good stove top fryer.

An enameled cast iron Dutch Oven, in my opinion, makes the best stove top deep fryer! And at about $40 can be purchased at any box store (Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, etc.)

Next report as promised..

Farmer style boneless ribs in the smoker tonight. I gave them a good rub yesterday with cumin, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder and salt. I wrapped them up tight for the refrigerator till tonight, and smoked them for an hour tonight with a combo of hickory and oak chips in the smoker, on the outdoor gas grill.
We brushed them with Jack Daniels sauce and finished them on the open grill.
Another home run!!
Home made coleslaw with my perfect (if I do say so myself) dressing, and garlic onion toast made the perfect meal.

I absolutely love my stovetop smoker. I've done fish, quail, chicken, all kinds of stuff in it. It works fine on my glass-top electric stove, it fits over 2 burners. Glad to see you're enjoying yours, Kayelle. You can also get more of the wood chips (sawdust) from Amazon--it lasts forever. I also recommend the book, "Smokin' by Christopher Styler. The booklet that comes with the smoker leaves a lot to be desired.

Back
Top Bottom