Apple pie filling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
Does anyone have a recipe for apple pie filling that you can? I am not talking about just canning the apples. I am looking for a recipe that includes a thick sweet syrup that is spiced. I'm sure there must be a recipe out there. I assume it would be thickened with corn starch in the cans. What pressure would it be cooked at and for how long?

oops...after all this I just reread your request and realized you wanted to know a canned applefilling recipe(?) instead of a fresh pie filling recipe(?). I would recommend using fresh apples instead of canned anyway. Oh well, here it is in case you ever want a fresh apple pie filling:

My grandmother owned a hunting Lodge (in her husband's name) in the Adirondack Mountains on Cranberry Lake in upstate New York called the "Evergreen Hotel" (it eventually burned down after she sold it) and did all the cooking for the hunters that stayed there. Here is her recipe that is absolutely amazing (has had a little tweaking and tips by me):

Gammie's Apple Pie

Preheat oven to 350. Melt 1/2 Cup butter in a saucepan. Stir in 3Tbsp flour. Add a generous 1/8 Cup water, 3/4 Cup white sugar and 3/4 Cup packed brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.

Place the bottom crust (let me know if you need the crust recipe) in your 9" glass pie pan. Fill with 6-8 fresh Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, and sliced) mounded slightly. Sprinkle apples with 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1 Tbsp vanilla, and a slight pinch of nutmeg. Pour 2/3 of the sugar/butter liquid over the apples. Cover with a lattice work of crust or regular crust w/slits if you prefer (tip: prepare lattice pieces ahead of time and keep in the fridge until ready). Brush the remaining HOT sugar/butter liquid over the crust.

Bake on middle rack (with drip pan underneath) for 1 hour, until apples are soft.

Tips: If using 8 apples then you might need to cook an additional 20 minutes. Poke the apples with a fork...if they are still crisp then return to oven at 250 until soft but not gushy. Cover edges of crust with aluminum foil if you see they are getting too brown. Tent the whole piecrust top if it's getting too brown

Attachments

• EvergreenHotel-CranberryLakeNY.jpg
    EvergreenHotel-CranberryLakeNY.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 236
  • EvergreenHotel-CranberryLakeNY-2.jpg
    EvergreenHotel-CranberryLakeNY-2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Mollyanne, thanks for your reply. What a great place that is. I would normally use fresh apples but I have a lot of apples and want to preserve them for when I need them.

One thing I have read is using cornstarch to thicken doesn't actually survive the canning process... let me see if I can find it.

Regular Clearjel Uses and Product Information

Clear jel - that's what I had bought. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but from what I heard it's the best way to thicken up pie fillings that you are going to can. Don't use the instant clear jel, just the regular kind.

Back
Top Bottom