Jam making

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bellag

Assistant Cook
Hi,
Anyone an expert in jam making? I have just done a batch of peach jam and it hasn't set for me. Is it possible pouring it back into a pan adding pectin this time and bring it up to setting point again? Will it work & keep? Just thought I'll ask before throwing everything out:(

Can you please post the recipe and your method? Thanks! I know you'll get lots of help if you post that.

Used 50-50 fruit to sugar with a few tablespoons of water and lemon juice. Placed the skin and water in a pan and reduced the liquid to a few tablespoons, added to the above ingredients and just brought to the boil and then simmered till setting point 220F

re. jam making

Problem with using pectin is that it requires obscene amounts of sugar, and it's use must be very precise (the recipes are strict!). I seldom use pectin anymore, choosing instead to cook my jams down (a longer boil) until they have achieved a "jam" consistency.

It is VERY difficult to apply the use of pectin midway through jam making - that's just a good way to waste $, as it's likely you'll throw it all away in disgust. If I were you, I'd simply put it back on the stove and continue the boil until it concentrates more - I use the cold plate test for set, put a small plate in the freezer until it's very cold, when the jam is ready for testing, drop a small amount on the cold plate, tilt the plate so that the jam runs down - now run your finger through the jam run, and if the jam does not close up the space your finger has just opened, the jam has a decent set. The more you do this, the better your results get!

Yes, the color gets more cloudy, but the sugar content is more reasonable. Pomona's Universal pectin is a type of pectin that allows the use of any amount of sugar - even no sugar - and still produces a good set. However, it's more expensive than regular pectin - but in my opinion, it's the only kind of pectin worth using.

Good luck with your jam.

Back
Top Bottom