Potatoe Gratin with Parsnips & Rutabaga

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
Yeah, another of KItchen of Light cookbook recipes by Andreas Viestad. I grew up with a similar dish, only they did not have cheese on them.

POTATEO GRATIN WITH PARSNIPS AND RUTABAGA, serves 6

2-1/2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 lb parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 lb rutabaga peeled an cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 bay leaves, preferably fresh, cut into 4 pieces
2-3 garlic cloves, cut lengthwise in half
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream (whipping)
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup grated melting cheese, such as Gruyere

Preheat oven to 300F. Put potatoes, parsnips, and rutabaga into a baking dish and toss to mix, insert the bay leaves adn garlic throughout the vegetables. In a small bowl combine the milk and cream. Season with nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Mix in half the cheese adn pour over the vegetables. Bake for 1 hour. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and turn the heat up to 350F and bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is nice and brown and the vegetables are tender. Garnish with sprig of parsley.

Re: Potatoe Gratin W/Parsnips & Rutabaga

norgeskog said:
Season with nuytmet . . .

Norgeskog, if you're gonna give us some weird Norwegian spice, at least give us a clue what it is. :D

Cats

Catseye said:
norgeskog said:
Season with nuytmet . . .

Norgeskog, if you're gonna give us some weird Norwegian spice, at least give us a clue what it is. :D

Cats

oops catseye, that is a norskie typo, should be nutmeg, how it ended up like that is a total mystery, must be the poltergeist. Sorry. I will go edit and correct it.

[quote="norgeskogNorgeskog, if you're gonna give us some weird Norwegian spice, at least give us a clue what it is. :D [/quote]

oops catseye, that is a norskie typo, should be nutmeg, how it ended up like that is a total mystery, must be the poltergeist. Sorry. I will go edit and correct it.[/quote]

Noooo ... ! I knew what it was. I was just kidding with you.

Cats

Catseye said:
[quote="norgeskogNorgeskog, if you're gonna give us some weird Norwegian spice, at least give us a clue what it is. :D

oops catseye, that is a norskie typo, should be nutmeg, how it ended up like that is a total mystery, must be the poltergeist. Sorry. I will go edit and correct it.[/quote]

Noooo ... ! I knew what it was. I was just kidding with you.

Cats[/quote]

I guess I am just sophisticatedly gulible, was not sure, but did want to change it anyway. I sometimes get to typing and forget to proof, used to MS word that does it for me. I am a little out of practice too, when I was working, I was cloced at 120 key strokes per minute.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom