Freeze apple pie prior to baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
Can you put together the apple pie and than freeze it prior to baking it. Than of course take it out in a few weeks and bake it according to the directions?

Can you put together the apple pie and than freeze it prior to baking it. Than of course take it out in a few weeks and bake it according to the directions?

I think it would change the texture of the apples and make the pie more watery.

Nope it doesn't change a thing. I do it all the time in apple season. I put together a jillion apple pies, wrap them in plastic wrap and foil and freeze them for later. No worries, they still taste great.

Nope it doesn't change a thing. I do it all the time in apple season. I put together a jillion apple pies, wrap them in plastic wrap and foil and freeze them for later. No worries, they still taste great.

OK! Good to know. Thanks Alix.

I like to cook my pies in a glass pie plate, as they always come out of the oven nice and brown on the bottom. I was going to make a couple of pies and freeze them, but am afraid to freeze in pyrex and then put them in a hot oven at a later date. Do the foil pans brown the pie crust on the bottom?

Marlene, if you put waxed paper in the bottom of your foil pie plate you can easily remove the whole frozen pie and put it in a glass pie plate to bake. Just remember to peel off that paper!

And no, I don't find that foil does as nice a job on the crust as glass does.

As a child we always went apple picking. We would fill the trunk of the car on a saturday, and spend all day sunday making pies for the freezer. Mom always froze them unbaked and they came out wonderful. She would just take the sliced apple, sugar, cinnamon and flour and toss it together toss in a crust, dot with butter, and put the top crust on, wrap it and in the freezer it went!

It was so great having hot apple pie all through the winter without having to make it, just bake it!

She always used the foil pans and they worked fine, although our old oven browned the bottom of anything really well, at times too well, LOL!

I prefer a glass pan because I can CAREFULLY look at the bottom to make sure it is fully browned.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom