Question about raspberries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gracewriter

Assistant Cook
The first time I made jam it came out perfect. I think it came out perfect because I didn't know what I was doing.

Once I started trying to know what I was doing, it got really complicated.

The recipe I use calls for one part sugar and one part fruit.

You boil the crushed berries for 1 minute, then you add sugar and boil for about five or until it jells. So everything I've made so far jells without anything else added, and it's quick, and tasty.

But I get really freaked when I start thinking about things.

So yesterday, I wanted to remove the seeds and did it after the first boil with my food mill.

But what got me crazy, I started thinking the seeds is where the pectin is...and probably shouldn't be removed until the end.

Problem is, I was putting them straight into the canner and needed the jam to be hot, had I de-seeded it at the end the jam would have cooled. I was afraid to heat it back up again because I wanted it to stop jelling.

So I ended up boiling instead of one minute the first time, 2.5 minutes.

Things looked like they were going well, but when I did the second boil it thickened twice as fast as it had in the past. Which of course freaked me out.

Who would think ruining $3.00 worth of berries would cause someone so much grief! Like if I ruin this batch, I'll be living under a bridge eating dog food out of a can.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Who would think ruining $3.00 worth of berries would cause someone so much grief! Like if I ruin this batch, I'll be living under a bridge eating dog food out of a can.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

I can't really comment on your berries but I am the same way when it comes to food being wasted. You'd think I was starving or something....not the case! So if it is any comfort to you, you are not alone.

I LOL at this! I'm the same way... It seriously ruins my day when something like this happens. I don't have any advice... just more empathy! It's so true that beginner's luck is present with each first-time creation it seems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom