Asian Dumplings (cookbook) - ISO comments/feedback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gage

Senior Cook
"Asian Dumplings" by Andrea Nguyen ,has anyone used this book ? I want to make those litle steamed dumpling ,xian something bao .
---gage

the book is called Asian dumplings and covers potstckers ,won ton ,samosas and steamed dumplings and bubs. I was wondering if anyone has used it ,looking for a review here. Regards Gage

I have the book, and have used the recipe for dumpling dough and for the potstickers.

They were delicious, and, while tedious, pretty easy. I bought a dumpling press, because I CANNOT get the hang of pleating them prettily.

I find the dumpling dough easier to use than packaged wonton wrappers.

Make a big batch, while you are at it, because they freeze well. :chef:

well I will get the book then , I tried making the steamed bao things and they looked bad ,plus the dough I used ,just some bread dough I was making and that was a mistake. the meat filling was good, just the regular potsticker meat I always make with a little extra shrimp ,and fennel seed / five spice to strenghten the taste because of the steaming . I make potstickers regularly and use storebought square wonton wrappers. I make up 30-40 of them in jig time ,line them up so they overlap by a bit and spray them with water ,the wrapper on top lets the one below get moistened on just two sides , fill and fold over one at a time ,they are now triangles, when they are all filled I spray all of them on the facing side and fold the three edges under . they look like overstuffed envelops . fry the folded side first ,then the other and glace with corn starch /water/ sesame oil mix with lid on at the end.
Sorry for ramling ,anyway I'll get that book plus her other one and learn the steamed dumpling properly.
Anyone else tried these they are called Xiao long bao
regards gage

I have the book now -appears laid out well , no metric conversion though . Making xiaolongbao tommorrow pg 59, will add shrimp to the pork cause I like that and have turkey stock mixed with agar made today. Thought I could fry the shrimp shells to extract their flavour and reduce a little heavy cream in them ( strain when done ) as a sort of garnish / sauce
I like the discriptions ,pictures and practical tips she gives, got her other book " Into the Vietnaese kitchen " while I was at it ,we'll see about that one.

Back
Top Bottom