Pampered Chef stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolgirl

Senior Cook
I bought a probably 15 inch pizza stone and when I got home it is too big for my Hamilton beach countertop oven. I needed a 12inch . I bought it at a consignment store. I was thrilled, because I've wanted one for a long time. Can these type stone be cut down? My husband is very handy for doing things like that, but I hate to ruin it. I don't know if anyone has ever ask this question. I have a big oven, but just hate to use it. Any ideas folks???

In a home workshop, it may be difficult to cut it down to a 12" circle without causing it to crack into pieces. It's very hard and brittle.

Do NOT try to cut it. It will crack for sure. I have several Pampered Chef stones and remember my friend who sold them to me telling me that one lady wanted to return her pizza stone because it broke. When my friend saw it she asked what the holes were around the main crack. The woman told her that her husband was trying to put handles on to make it easier to get it out of the oven. Of course, the warranty didn't cover that!

For the length of time it will take to bake, why not use your "big" oven?

During the summer I don't like to use the big oven because it heats the house up so much. I love to use my countertop oven, it cooks faster and I can cook a 12" pizza in it. I didn't even think about it being too big. So, yes, I will have to use the oven because I sure don't want to ruin the stone. Thanks for your replies. As always I came to the place to find out what the answer would be!!

I had a PC stone for years but it finally cracked. Instead of shelling $20 for another I paid $1.67 for an unglazed saltillo tile at home depot. It's about 12 inches square and I keep it on the bottom of my oven all the time. Every now and then I make a pizza and put the pizza directly on the stone.

Lee

I had a PC stone for years but it finally cracked. Instead of shelling $20 for another I paid $1.67 for an unglazed saltillo tile at home depot. It's about 12 inches square and I keep it on the bottom of my oven all the time. Every now and then I make a pizza and put the pizza directly on the stone.

Lee

If you had your PC receipt and knew of a representative in your area you could have exchanged your stone for a new one for free....as it sounds like it broke out of being well used. But I like stone in the oven bit too!

No such luck. I bought it at a consignment shop. I don't even know if there are different sizes or not. This 15" might be the only size they have. I have another question though. I haven't used it yet but I wonder about cleaning it before I use it. I just ran hot water over it and used a plastic scrubbie with it. I just wonder if that will be enough to get any germs off from the previous owner. Someone told me not to put soap on it. The young ladies at the consigment shop said their mothers put theirs in the dishwasher!!!

No Dishwasher for baking stones!!!!! When you buy them new they come with some small scrubbers which work great without harming the surface. All I use on mine and I use them often....though rarely for pizza I just realized. I use them for my catering - baked pastry appetizers, etc.

i dont clean my stone....just keep it in the oven at all times, and occasionally brush off some of the burnt crud that collects....absolutely no soap or other cleaners, as the stone will absorb it.....i know people who put it through the oven cleaning cycle, which i bet works well.....i dont think you need to worry about germs - if you use it right, you give the stone/oven a significant time to pre-heat to a very high temp, which should kill most nasties

i dont clean my stone....just keep it in the oven at all times, and occasionally brush off some of the burnt crud that collects....absolutely no soap or other cleaners, as the stone will absorb it.....i know people who put it through the oven cleaning cycle, which i bet works well.....i dont think you need to worry about germs - if you use it right, you give the stone/oven a significant time to pre-heat to a very high temp, which should kill most nasties

Couldn't agree with you more, Noodle. I use my little scrubbers dry on the stone and anything left gets baked off the next time I use it.

Thanks Ladies, I am going to use my stone today. My gson is out of school and I thought I'd cook one of those frozen pizza's that he likes. I also am going to bake some sweet potatoes. Would they cook good on there? I usually just cook them in a pan, just wondered though.

My husband has a tile cutter and other type of tools. That's why I thought he might could do that. If he could just cut the 2 sides it would fit my oven. I just don't want to ruin it though.

Schoolgirl, why don't you do what Lee did for your smaller oven? It would be the perfect size!

Locksmith (Lee) said:
I paid $1.67 for an unglazed saltillo tile at home depot. It's about 12 inches square and I keep it on the bottom of my oven all the time. Every now and then I make a pizza and put the pizza directly on the stone.

Well Kayelle, I actually did buy one and then wondered if I should use it. I ask the employee in Lowe's about an unglazed tile and this is what I bought. The employee said he had never heard of it and suggested I put it in a hot oven for a while. I don't know if it was a saltillo tile or not(I'm not familiar with the different type tiles).

Don't use any soap product on the stone unless you want your pizza, cookies and whatever else you cook on it to taste like Palmolive or Cascade! The hot water and plastic scrubbie will do fine; it will retain spotting-this is OK. Don't use the scrubbies with fine threading; they will shred. Unglazed tiles from a hardware store will do the same job at much less cost. It is OK to leave them in your oven all the time. It does not use more energy to heat them up and helps regulate your oven temperature too. Also work great for 'warming up' precooked holiday entrees prepared ahead of time (like a hotplate). When hot, use metal or wood utensils - the temp will melt plastic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom