Hash Brown Casserole Technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
I've got a hankerin' for this casserole for dinner tonight. Haven't made one in ages, so I forget - do you have to thaw the hash browns first? I'm using the shredded kind.

I just made that a couple hours ago! :shock: Usually I buy "Real Potatos" brand hash browns, made fresh & not frozen. Sometimes I make hash from scratch. This time I was lazy and bought Wal-Mart brand tator tots. :oops: And you know, it was better than usual! :D

I just bake the tots (or heavily brown the hash as the case may be) til they're nice and crisp. With tator tots, I first pour them into a med sized plastic bag, pour in a few TBSP of oil & shake well to coat- helps the tots crisp up. NOTE THAT I ALWAYS COOK THE POTATOES SEPARATELY! It's really not much more hassle since you can do it while you cook the meat. Then the oven is already hot.

I like to line the bottom of a cake pan with a layer about 1" deep. I then layer 2 cans of drained french cut green beans over the spuds. I cook up a few pounds of burger in the electric skillet, browned with half an onion, finely diced. Season with a bit of salt, pepper & dried italian seaoning, plus a bit of minced garlic, then stir in cream of mushroom soup (2 & 1/2 small cans or one large one) and thin with a touch of milk.

Then I spread the meat over the potatos, top with shredded cheddar cheese and bake for 1/2 hr at 350. Lastly, I crank the oven up to "BROIL" for a few minutes to brown the cheese. Not anything pretentious or fancy, but good solid comfort food! :)

My tater tot casserole calles for it to be in the oven for about 50 min on 350 or so. I throw them in frozen and haven't had a problem with them yet.

Back
Top Bottom