Yooper Pasties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
First let me ask, what is a Yooper?

That being asked, I gather that pasties are like meat pies. How about some examples and recipes I can try.

I love the idea of meat pies, but after buying a pre-made package of pie crust, it sat in the freezer for a couple of months because I couldn't figure out what to put in a meat pie.

I finally took some leftover meat and vegetables from a soup I made and made little pies. It wasn't very good, but I still get hungry for "pasties" when I keep coming across them in my reading. They just sound so good.:pig:

A "Yooper" is from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Yooper=Upper.

Pastie is sort of like a meat/veg pie, but in turnover fashion. It can also contain dessert in one end of it. Typically it will contain cubed beef (round steak seems to work well), veg can range from diced potatoes to carrots to rutabagas to turnips. Also some onion, s/p to taste.
The dessert area, if you want to put some in one end, can be something like a pie filling.
They are typically cooked without any liquid inside them and are sauced at the table once cracked open with ketchup or brown gravy.

They were intended as a portable, hearty meal for the Cornish, from Cornwall U.K. miners. Hence the name, Cornish Pasties.

Here are some recipes.

Besides the Cornish Miners version as mentioned by Hammster, pasties, by design, can also be found as Scottish Meat Pies, the same construction as a pastie, but contains a lamb stew. And there's a Scottish-American meat pie that uses ground beef (in place of lamb), onion, carrot, potato and LOTS of black pepper.

Selkie,
I haven't seen the Scottish ones. I've had Scottish meat pies at Scottish Highland Games here in San Diego (take that for what it's worth) and they were more of a traditional pie shape and not a turnover shape.

Pies/Pasties

Most area's of the UK have a traditional pie or pastie, the people of Wigan in Lancashire are refered to as Pie Eaters. Melton Mowbray is the home of Pork Pies made with hot water crust pastry.Steak and Kidney pudding is fantastic. The Cornish Pastie or Tiddy Oggy is one of the best.

Thanks guys. I never would have guessed. I was thinking something like yuppie. Now I know.

I appreciate the recipe site. Now if I can remember how to copy it onto a document so I can make it easier to read and print out for my notebook. Someone told me here so I have to go find the thread/site..

Thanks again.

Highlight what you want to copy. Then press control c. Then click on where you want to put the information and then click control v. That should copy your recipe for you. I think.

I warn you , as good as they are pasties are often very dry. Do make a gravy.

Me too, but I Googled ;)

I suppose I could have done that too, but I like getting all the answers from the members here with all the other info and conversations it starts:LOL::LOL: that it didn't even occur to me.

Sally

Thanks guys. I never would have guessed. I was thinking something like yuppie. Now I know.

I appreciate the recipe site. Now if I can remember how to copy it onto a document so I can make it easier to read and print out for my notebook. Someone told me here so I have to go find the thread/site..

Thanks again.

If anyone is interested I did find one way to copy recipes that don't want to be copied.

I used the snippet tool to make a screen shot and pasted it into a document. I wasn't able to edit it, but I was able to enlarge it as a unit by pulling out the "handles", making it easier to read.

Last edited:
I used to live in iron-mining country in way northern Minnesota. Here is what I learned about pasties. . . .

Miners took pasties underground, because they were portable. Their wives made them with heavy crusts to keep them together, and with a thick edge to hold onto. Miners have dirty hands, so that last little bit of crust that was used as a handle was too dirty to eat. It wasn't wasted, however.

Down in the mines, there are little mischievous guys called tommyknockers--sorta like leprechauns. To keep the tommyknockers happy, miners tossed those dirty bits of crust over their shoulders for the tommyknockers to eat.

Woe betide the miner who didn't do that--he was sure to lose his tools, or his candle would blow out, leaving him in total darkness.

Oh--in my part of Minnesota, REAL pasties are made with cubed beef (or venison), some ground beef suet, and cubed potatoes and rutabaga (beggies). I don't remember any onions, but some infidels do put carrots in them.

A friend of mine is Cornish, and he says when his granny made them, she waited til the crust was just browned, cut an X in the top, and poured cream over the filling. Put them back in the oven and cook til the cream bubbles.

My Minnesota friends ate them with ketchup.

Pasty making is a popular fundraiser for churches--the ladies all gather and make hundreds of them, and people buy them by the dozen. They do freeze well.

I find them rather flavorless--I prefer a nice southern chicken pot pie with lots of gravy.

Highlight what you want to copy. Then press control c. Then click on where you want to put the information and then click control v. That should copy your recipe for you. I think.

I warn you , as good as they are pasties are often very dry. Do make a gravy.

Hey, Joesfolk. It worked!! I never would have thought about that since I always copy/paste using the right click. I'll be smart about it this time and write it down:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the tip. Kayelle's idea of pasting into an email worked too. It just wouldn't do it using the right click to paste into either a Word or OOo document. Your way is the easiest. Thanks again.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom