Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Diabetic Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f162/)
-   -   Cake for a diabetic (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f162/cake-for-a-diabetic-67922.html)

aldei 10-31-2010 05:56 AM

Cake for a diabetic

Does anyone know an easy but moist cake recipe I can bake for a diabetic friend?

Constance 10-31-2010 09:15 AM

Use any scratch cake recipe and make substitutions: Splenda for sugar, whole wheat flour for all but 1/4 of the flour, and mashed banana or applesauce for the oil. Instead of frosting, mix two boxes of sugar-free pudding with half the liquid and stir in a container of sugar-free Cool Whip.

If you add raisins, soak them in hot water first, then drain. They not only plump up, but some of the sugar washes away in the water.

blissful 10-31-2010 10:15 AM

A nurse friend of mine had a daughter with diabetis (sp?) and she would make a boxed or homemade Angelfood cake and serve with fresh fruit cut up.

babetoo 10-31-2010 01:21 PM

several cake mix makers have sugar free cake mixes. you might try one of those.

bakechef 10-31-2010 01:33 PM

I wouldn't replace the oil with applesauce or mashed banana, that would just add more sugar.

taxlady 10-31-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constance (Post 931847)
Use any scratch cake recipe and make substitutions: Splenda for sugar, whole wheat flour for all but 1/4 of the flour, and mashed banana or applesauce for the oil. Instead of frosting, mix two boxes of sugar-free pudding with half the liquid and stir in a container of sugar-free Cool Whip.

If you add raisins, soak them in hot water first, then drain. They not only plump up, but some of the sugar washes away in the water.

Just curious, why substitute banana or apple sauce for oil for a diabetic? Any reason not to substitute all whole wheat for the white flour?

PrincessFiona60 10-31-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakechef (Post 931928)
I wouldn't replace the oil with applesauce or mashed banana, that would just add more sugar.

Sour cream or yogurt will add some fat content, add to the tenderness and not add extra sugar.

PrincessFiona60 10-31-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxlady (Post 931930)
Just curious, why substitute banana or apple sauce for oil for a diabetic? Any reason not to substitute all whole wheat for the white flour?

Fat Q: Most, not all, Diabetics also have problems with their triglycerides, another added risk for stroke.

Flour Q: Basically for asthetics, but there are some really good Whole Wheat White Flours out there, now.

4meandthem 10-31-2010 01:59 PM

I am a diabetic so I don't eat much cake.If I have a piece it is never frosted and pretty small.

All too often I see other diabetics eating a big A#$ piece of cake because it had applesauce or splenda in it.My advise would be to them -give it up.We had our fill of junk and the party is over.

On special occasion have your LITTLE piece of cake.The gooiest one you can get.Then be done with it!

I don't like diabetic recipes for the most part because they just give an excuse to eat more and do less for managing your condition.

Maybe this should have went in the rant thread! LOL

taxlady 10-31-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 (Post 931935)

Flour Q: Basically for asthetics, but there are some really good Whole Wheat White Flours out there, now.

That's funny. I find the whole grain colour more aesthetically pleasing unless it's angel food cake.