Trick or Treat! Whatcha got? How many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
What do you hand out for Halloween? Most years I buy a pile of something like Tootsie Rolls or lollipops and leave them out where they can be easily found and hide the "good stuff" from Ken. LOL! This year I only bought a giant bag of M&Ms, Snickers and Oh Henry. We usually only get about 30 kids. We live near The Mall, so lots of little ones go there.

What are you giving out and how many kids do you expect?

We get tons of kids. Most of them from other neighborhoods, some churches bus them into our neighborhood. Unfortuantly we have had issue with "tricks" in the past. We have tootsie roll pops for the out of neighborhood kids, two 100 count boxes.

For our neighborhood kids we have full sized candy bars.

We get tons of kids. Most of them from other neighborhoods, some churches bus them into our neighborhood. Unfortuantly we have had issue with "tricks" in the past. We have tootsie roll pops for the out of neighborhood kids, two 100 count boxes.

For our neighborhood kids we have full sized candy bars.

And we ran out of candy just before 7 PM. :ermm:

Last year we gave out 18 bags of candy and this year we have 22 bags on hand.We can't even close the door for an hour or two each year.I decorate BIG TIME so we have a steady stream of kids from the sidewalk to the door and people taking pictures all over the place.I am about 2 hours from T-time right now and I don't know who is more excited,Me or the kids.

We gave up handing out when we only got one or two kids a couple of years in a row. Appears our neighborhood is mostly older couples, like us and retired folks.

When we were in Student Housing, when I was in college, there wasn't enough candy for all the kids.

A couple of co-workers and I will be handing out at work in a bit, we invite church groups to come through the facility so the residents can hand out candy, they love it. I'll be running back and forth topping up candy bowls.

We have lived in this house since July 2003 and we haven't had a trick-or-treater yet. We used to buy candy, just in case, but there are only a couple kids on our road and they go into town to trick-or-treat, or to one (or more) of the "trunk-or-treat" events at local churches. Our church did that tonight.

We had tons of kids when I lived in California. I think the happiest kids we got was the year my mom handed out Charms suckers (not the blow-pop kind, but the fruity flavors). My mom counted the kids most years, and we usually had around 200.

:)Barbara

Well we had our first 6 at 545pm. Nothing now...quiet out there. I've had parents laughing and taking pictures of our puking pumpkin though.

I also have to say that we have been decorating and doing halloween big for about 5 years now and never had a problem with any kid or vandalism.The kids are so polite and the whole thing is done by 9pm.We gat alot of immagrant kids and they are the most polite out the bunch.I remember more problems when i was a kid.I am in a major city too but not downtown.
It really makes you want to do it more.

We give a wide variety of candies since I have to buy so much.

I live in a condo complex of townhouse style homes so we get lots of kids as there are lots of homes in a small area. In past years we have had from 30 - 100 kids. This year we had about 60.

The condo association hires a cop and a cruiser for four hours to drive around our complex to deter mischief. This year he was nowhere to be seen and when we called to check on him, we were told he misunderstood the date! How do you misunderstand the date for Halloween!!?!?

It's 8:30 and we've had about 20 kids...that's about the same as last year. We're handing out Snickers, M&M, and small Gala apples. Believe it or not one child picked the apple out of the basket first and only took the candy when I said she was welcome to take more. She was about 10 yrs old and dressed as the prettiest cat I've ever seen.

This year was pretty disappointing. We had maybe 30 kids and gave away maybe only a 1/3 of what we bought. We used to go till well after the 8 PM stop time but the last few years we have seen fewer and fewer kids. This year by 7:40 there was no one left on the streets. So we packed it in at @7:50. I buy the mixed bag of candy so there is something for everyone.

The condo association hires a cop and a cruiser for four hours to drive around our complex to deter mischief. This year he was nowhere to be seen and when we called to check on him, we were told he misunderstood the date! How do you misunderstand the date for Halloween!!?!?
Because this year falls on Sunday nite and kids have to go to school Monday morning so many towns are celebrating on Saturday night. I suspect another reason is because church sunday and halloween don't mix...but it would be politically incorrect to admit that's the reason though....maybe.

Last edited:
You have GOT to be kidding me Andy! Thats crazy!

What kind of candy do you hand out?

The littlest ones get little packs of gummies (no nuts) and the usual fun sized candy bars for the rest. Reeses peanut butter cups are held for last.

The trick with leftover candy is to only buy what you want to eat yourself OR buy only what you are only too happy to pass up.

I didn't count but we went through 4 bags of Kit Kats and just over 4 bags of Snickers.
I like Snickers so I bought extra hoping we'd have left overs.:brows: Had to open bag #5 for the last group of kids. We have a nice neighborhood that is fairly secluded but there are apartments nearby. I think about half of the kids were from the apartments. They were all polite and the majority had parents with them.

I'm a Halloween scrooge. I guess I have turned into an old sour pus. I turned lights back on at around 20h00. They are usually done by then.

I got tired of kids who didn't smile and all want coins for charity along with candy. I also hate that I can't give them something home made, or their parents will toss it out.

Back
Top Bottom