Can I freeze this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
A friend is having major back surgery soon. I will be out of town for 10 days leaving just before her procedure. I want to make a couple of dishes that can be frozen for her and her husband to enjoy when she is home. I am thinking of beef barley soup for one of the dishes. Do you think it will freeze well?

Thanks,

Lyndalou

No problems with freezing soup, be sure to leave two inches of room at the top of the container.

Thanks to all of you. My concern was with the barley maybe getting mushy, but if you all would do it, then I will too. I don't think I can freeze anything with potatoes in it, though. Right???

Last edited:
Good luck to your friend. I freeze most soups without bad effect, the only exception being cream soups (which tend to break) and pasta soups (I freeze the base and add the noodles when I reheat so that they stay al dente). I give a lot of soup away to friends who cannot cook, and nothing says love like a bowl of hearty soup in the cold months.

Lynda I freeze stew with potatoes all the time. I don't see why you shouldnt. Good luck to you friend.
kades

Lynda I freeze stew with potatoes all the time. I don't see why you shouldnt. Good luck to you friend.
kades

Kades, my potatoes fall apart into mushy watery clumps in frozen stew or soups. I always pick them out before I freeze it. You don't have that problem? Could you share your secret?

Kades, my potatoes fall apart into mushy watery clumps in frozen stew or soups. I always pick them out before I freeze it. You don't have that problem? Could you share your secret?
No secret I just cut small and trow themin with some of the other veggie.
kades

Back
Top Bottom