Silicone baking mat vs parchment paper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
Every time I walk into Bed Bath and Beyond I look at the silicone baking mats. I keep telling myself that I need one. I just can't justify spending $25-30 bucks for one. I only bake a few times a year and just think that $25 is an awful lot of parchment paper that I could buy. I also don't know anything about the shelf life of a mat and wonder if it will hold up for a few years.

Anyone able to vouch for the silicone mats being superior to parchment?

I with you on that. Interested in hearing opinions also
I bake alot and still can't bring myself to pay that kind of money as to buying parchement paper.
I also can't bring myself to buy the silcon baking pans, (cupcake,muffin etc) either.
i have heard some mixed feeling on them.
Think Ill stick with what works for me.

I tend to use parchment in the bottom of cake pans where it will be covered completely with the batter. It really helps the cake come right out.

I have a Silpat and use it more for things like cookies or parmesan crisps, things like that. I like the idea of not throwing something out like I would if I lined a cookie sheet with an entire piece of parchment. My Silpat is 5 years old and is showing no signs of slowing down.

I guess I don't equate the "value" of something with how much it costs vs how much of something else I could buy for the same amount of money. Each has its benefits and both are useful in the kitchen for different reasons.

Seems parchment breathes better than silicon mats. We have seven silicone mats of various brands which we use principally as counter protectors and for some dough preparation. Most of them have a somewhat greasy texture that requires use of a wet cloth rather than paper towels for wiping up. We use parchment paper to protect our baking stone from pizza topping spills.

Last edited:
I spent a lot on Silpat a few years back and it got really gross. At l;east parchment paper is clean and fresh each time you use it.

I use parchment paper. I have found not all parchment papers are created equal.

I had bought some Wilton PP and it worked fine but I had to trim it to fit the pan. I then bought some PP that was the right width and I just tore off what I needed. I thought I was so smart for finding the right sized PP until I used it for the first time and found my bagels stuck to it.

I still have two full rolls.

I use parchment paper...I tried the silicone and it just didn't work for me. I tried cookies on a silicone mat and they stuck and crumbled to pieces when I tried to get them off. Maybe I used a cheap brand?

I love my silpat. I also use parchment at times but nothing beats silpat. I have used mine for years and yes it does not look perfect but it works perfect still.

I have baked countless cookies on it and they come out perfect every time.

They are the best for my biscotti's which I make batches of during Christmas.

There are a lot of generic silicone mats available now and I can't comment on how they work but I can definitely comment on Silpat - it's expensive but I'll only stick with that brand.

I recently bought a generic silpat mat (At least I think it was generic). I do not do a lot of baking at all, but I wanted one anyway. I am sure I would have been fine sticking with parchment paper for what I do. I have no complaints about the silicone mat though. If you do not bake a lot and think $25 is as lot of money then stick with the parchment paper. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket then get the mat.

I have used silpat mats and don't especially like them but am a huge fan of teflon coated fiberglass baking mats. These things are a little tough to find but have the baking properties of parchment - they can also be trimmed to size and are reusable. They are thin and safe up to 500 degrees. some links:

Amazon.com: Kaiser Bakeware Patisserie Reusable Parchment Paper: Kitchen & Dining: Reviews, Prices & more

NONSTICK FIBERGLASS BAKING SHEETS - 6 per pack - (Matfer Bourgeat) SKU488

Magic Baking Sheet. Nonstick, Reusable Baking Liner - Baking Liners & Mats

Back
Top Bottom