Cooking w/ Brandy..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
I saw a recipe with Emeril that used Calvados which is some type of brandy, I think. I picked up a bottle of brandy and now what? Does anyone have any recipes that use brandy? Thanks.

Calvados is an apple brandy from Normandy, it is distinctly different to other French cognacs - I like it with coffee after a really good meal. :D

Brandy can be used in many ways, for instance, to flambe things like steak or puddings like crepe Suzette.

Brandied Bleu Cheese Ball
can be made a day or two ahead of time

8 oz. bleu cheese, crumbled
8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup brandy
1cup walnuts, chopped
Assorted crackers

Mix bleu cheese and cream cheese with brandy until evenly blended. Shape into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap, refrigerating for at least an hour or up to 48 hours. When ready to serve, unwrap and roll in walnuts. Serve with crackers.

Hot Spiked Apple Cider

This is a flexible recipe with a few variations you can try. Though pear cider isn’t in every chain supermarket, it can be found in most gourmet markets and used in this recipe. If you choose the pear version, substitute dried pears for the apples and use a poire instead of apple brandy.

Applejack, a potent brandy made from apple cider, is more than suitable and is not terribly expensive. In the US, applejack must age at least two years in wooden casks before being bottled.

For discerning palates and generous hosts, try a Calvados. Some are aged for 40 years. Not surprisingly, it is considered one of the world’s finest apple brandies and is named for the town in France's Normandy region from where it comes.

• 1/2 gallon apple cider
• 3 cups dark rum
• 3 cinnamon sticks
• 12 cloves
• 6 star anise
• 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
• ¼ cup currants (optional)
• 1/2 cup of Calvados, applejack , or apple brandy
• brown sugar for dredging
• 1 dozen large dried apple rings
• enough cinnamon sticks for garnishing

Soak the dried apples and currants (if using currants) in Calvados and steep overnight in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, heat cider and apple mixture in a pot, but do not boil! To serve, pour a shot of the rum into a mug and top with the cider. Dust the apple rings with brown sugar and float on top of the cocktail. Garnish with cinnamon sticks.

Chimayo Cocktail

• 1/2 cup apple cider
• 1 1/2 oz. Calvados, applejack, or apple brandy
• 1 tbsp creme de cassis
• 1 teas fresh lemon juice
• 1 apple slice

Combine the first four ingredients in a glass. Stir and add ice. Garnish with a slice of apple.

Chicken with apples and cream.

INGREDIENTS:

4 to 6 chicken breast halves
3 large apples, peeled, cored and quartered
3 tablespoons butter, divided
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons dry sherry or brandy
2 egg yolks
PREPARATION:

Trim excess fat from chicken breasts; rinse and pat dry. In a large heavy skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat; add chopped onion and basil and sauté for a few minutes, or until onion is tender. Add 2 or 3 chicken breasts to the skillet; Sauté chicken for 15 minutes, or until golden. Add remaining butter and remaining chicken breasts; saute for 15 minutes, or until golden.
Return all chicken to the skillet; add apple. Cook over medium low heat, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of wine; cook for 5 longer. Add remaining 1/2 cup of wine, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; continue cooking until apple is tender.

In a small bowl, combine cream, flour, sherry or brandy, and egg yolks; stir well. Pour over chicken; cook slowly for 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until sauce is hot and slightly thickened.

Chicken recipe serves 4 to 6.

Raisin Pumpkin Cake with Lemon Brandy Glaze (using cake mix)

Raisin Pumpkin Cake:
1 package (18.5 ounces) yellow cake mix
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon mace
1-1/2 cups California raisins
3/4 cup water
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Lemon Brandy Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons brandy or 1/2 teaspoon brandy extract
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons water

Combine cake mix, cinnamon, ginger and mace in large bowl; set aside. In food processor or blender, combine raisins and water; process about 10 seconds or until raisins are chopped. Add to dry ingredients with eggs and pumpkin.

With mixer, beat on medium speed about 2 minutes. Stir in nuts. Pour into greased and floured Bundt or 10-inch tube pan.

Bake at 350F for 45 to 50 minutes, or until done.

Meanwhile, combine powdered sugar, lemon juice, brandy, lemon peel and water in small bowl; mix together until smooth and consistency to spread.

Cool cake 10 minutes. Turn onto wire rack and drizzle with glaze while still warm. Cool completely before serving.

Yields: 1 cake plus 1/3 cup glaze

Apple Brandy Cake

Ingredients
2 cup flour
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking soda
1/2 cup nuts (1/2 to 1 cup)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
2 cup diced apples
2 tbsp applejack (brandy)
3 each eggs
1 cup oil
1 tbsp vanilla

Directions

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, nuts and raisins. Combine apples,
applejack, eggs, oil, and vanilla. Combine two mixtures (will be
stiff). Spread in a greased and floured tube pan. Bake 40-45 minutes
(no temperature given, sic). Let stand 10 minutes. Pour two ounces of
applejack over the cake.

Servings: 1 servings

Apple Brandy Butter

Ingredients
6 cup fresh unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup calvados
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange blossom honey
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Directions

Place all ingredients in heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium
heat, stirring frequently. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until
mixture begins to thicken. Pour into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4
inch headspace. Vacuum seal. Makes 6 1/2 pint jars
Servings: 1 servings

Brandied Sour Cream Orange Bundt Cake

1 box yellow cake mix -- (18 1/2 oz.)
1 box instant vanilla pudding -- (3 3/4 oz.) and pie filling mix
3/4 C. brandy -- divided (see note)
1/3 C. orange juice
1/4 C. orange juice
1/2 C. sour cream -- or reduced-fat sour cream
4 eggs -- at room temperature (see note)
1 C. chopped pecans -- or English walnuts
3 T. freshly grated orange peel
1/4 C. butter or margarine
3/4 C. granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 10-inch diameter tube or Bundt pan.

In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, 1/2 cup of the brandy or orange liqueur, 1/3 cup of the orange juice and sour cream, beating well with an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in nuts and orange peel. Spoon into the prepared pan.

Bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into cake comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto a large sheet of foil (right-side-up for 10-inch tube pan and upside-down for a 10-inch Bundt pan). Using a thin long wooden skewer, make holes all over top of hot cake.

When cake is almost done, prepare syrup. In a small heavy saucepan, melt butter or margarine over low heat. Add sugar and remaining 1/4 cup orange juice, blending well. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1/4 cup brandy or orange liqueur (see note).

Drizzle hot syrup over top of cake very slowly, being careful that too much syrup does not run into crack on top of tube cake. Bring foil up around cake and wrap securely. Cake may be served when completely cooled. Or, cake may be stored in an airtight cake container or wrapped in foil and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 weeks.

NOTE: If not using brandy or orange liqueur, increase orange juice to 7/8 cup.

NOTE: May omit eggs; use the equivalent of 3 eggs in egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters.

Hubbard Squash-Almond Crisp

4 Ib. Hubbard squash
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brandy
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 ground cinnamon
10 Tbsp. unsalted butter - softened
1/2 cup Amaretti cookies - crushed
1 pint heavy cream - chilled

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toast almonds and chop until fine. Halve the squash lengthwise and remove seeds and fiber. Place squash, cut side down, in a shallow baking dish. Pour in the water. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove dish from oven, turn squash over and cool. Use a spoon to remove the flesh. Cut into 2-inch cubes. Place squash in a bowl, drizzle with brandy, sprinkle with sugar, and set aside for 30 minutes to macerate. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix in the butter, working with your fingers until the mixture holds together and is crumbly. Stir in the chopped almonds and the crushed Amaretti cookies. Set aside. Place squash and juice in a 12-inch round baking dish. Spread the almond mixture evenly over them. Bake for 1 hour or until the squash is bubbling and the topping is golden brown. Serve with hot crisp drizzled with heavy cream.

Brandied Chicken With Peaches

The chicken:
1 fryer, cut up (with all external fat removed)
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

The sauce:
1 cup peaches
1/8 cup water
1/4 cup brandy
1 teaspoon almond extract

Place the chicken in a baking dish, skin side up. Sprinkle the chicken with mace, thyme and black pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and pour off the fat.

To make the sauce, put the peaches and any peach juice in a saucepan. Add the water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add more water if needed. Remove from the heat and add the brandy and the almond extract.

Pour 25% of the sauce over the chicken. Return the chicken to the oven and bake 30 minutes more.

Warm the remaining sauce. Remove the chicken from the pan immediately. Put the chicken on a serving dish and douse with the remaining sauce

Rainee to the rescue!!!!!!!! Those are some great looking recipes too - especially the bleu cheese ball!!!!!!! YUM Thanks for posting these.

I tried rainee's recipe for the chicken and it really came out well.

I made a few changes. I browned the chicken to start in order to save time on the baking step. Seemed to work.

I seasoned the chicken w/ salt and pepper before browning. The recipe does not say what cuisine it is from so it makes it hard to figure. Italian cooking calls for this step along with searing so....

I browned it with onions and sweet peppers seemed to go well with sweetness.

I didnt have mace so I used cloves. I saw the nutmeg in my shelf and said "Hmm maybe but no..." Ginger might work. Hmmm.

The sauce step did not say what is supposed to happen or for how long. I figured it was for half an hour but the recipe should specificy. ALso what is supposed to happen here; is there supposed to be a reduction? no sugar? no vinegar?

It came out of the oven well. I saved probably 30 minutes by browning. I garnished with black olives and raisens. If you had sultanas or currants this might be better than the old store bought raisens I had on hand.

Again if I knew what region this dish is from I might have gone differently. Meditteranean? French? I might have thought of toasted sesame seeds, or perhaps figs or....

Also I noticed a pinch of salt on the plated product brought out the cloves which in turn brought out the sublties of brandy. Which in turn highlighted the sweetness. So a pinch of salt and pepper when finished.

Thoughts?

Oh I found the chef Emeril recipe w/ Calavados, it is a pepper corn sauce for pork chops etc.

He takes: shallots and peppercorns and sautee's them in a pan, then he adds Calvados (an apple brandy) and lights it on fire. I knew I liked this...

Then he adds a mustard, garlic and some creme and makes it some sort of reduction. Pour over pork chops.

That chicken recipe was developed by someone from Texas.

Okay that helps. Thanks a lot for all your input.

Hey what about the sauce? Is it supposed to be reduced? For how long?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom