White wine substitutions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rastabird92

Assistant Cook
Hello!

For a while I have been looking for a good white wine substitute, as I cannot have alcohol for religious reasons. I have heard of non-alcoholic white wine, but I have no clue where I could buy it. I have looked up substitutions such as chicken stock and white grape juice mixtures, but a lot of them don't sound too ideal. I have tried chicken stock as a substitute for rabbit fricassee, but it didn't turn out too well. Other than chicken stock I have not found any other good substitutions because nothing sounds as good as the real thing would be. Has anybody tried any good white wine substitutes that worked out well?

Thank you
-Sam

For savory dishes I would use chicken stock or water. You may have better luck if you choose recipes that don't call for wine.

Non-alcoholic wines are available at most food markets and wine/liquor stores.

Last edited:
I recently made a peaches and cream sauce (for pork chops) and subbed water for the white wine, it was delicious. It was a sweet/savory sauce since it also had onions and salt in it, in addition to the peaches, sugar and heavy cream. I have also heard that you can sub chicken stock for white wine but it kind of depends on the dish.

Depending on what state you live in, the n/a wines are right near the regular wines. Does your religion forbid wine vinegars? A dash of vinegar (not the entire amount, mind you, just a dash) might give a dish that je ne sais quois that wine does. Try using stock for the bulk of the wine called for in the recipe. Then for a red meat dish, use beef stock with a dash of balsamic vinegar; for white meat dishes, chicken/turkey stock with a dash of rice vinegar. If allowed, sherry vinegar and malt vinegar go well in many dishes. Do NOT replace the entire amount of wine in a recipe with vinegar or it will be sour. In sweet dishes, by the way, the syrups used to flavor coffees would make a good substitute for liquers.

I believe all supermarkets carry non-alcoholic sparkling White grape juice and white apple cider. For cooking, I prefer the cider, but either will work. Just be aware that they will be sweeter than real wine, so taste before adding and add carefully.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom