Meat tenderizing - joints

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are only effective on thin pieces of meat where the tenderizer can actually break up meat fibers. If you used it on a larger piece of meat the interior portions of the roast would be unaffected.

If you want to tenderize larger pieces of meat though, you can marinade it. One particular technique I picked up from my Filipino in-laws is soaking pork in 7-UP or Sierra Mist. The catch here is to not over marinade it, or the meat becomes mushy. For pork, I don't soak it for longer than 6 hours.

If you want to tenderize larger pieces of meat though, you can marinade it. One particular technique I picked up from my Filipino in-laws is soaking pork in 7-UP or Sierra Mist. The catch here is to not over marinade it, or the meat becomes mushy. For pork, I don't soak it for longer than 6 hours.

"There is a commonly held belief that soaking a tough cut of meat in a marinade will make it tender. Sadly, this just isn't true much of the time. While some marinades are very successful at adding flavor to meat, chicken, and fish, they are, with one exception, a disaster at tenderizing."

Here's the full article by food scientist Shrley Corriher: Marinades Add Flavor but Don't Always Tenderize - Fine Cooking Recipes, Techniques and Tips

Your best bet might be to braise the meat.

"There is a commonly held belief that soaking a tough cut of meat in a marinade will make it tender. Sadly, this just isn't true much of the time. While some marinades are very successful at adding flavor to meat, chicken, and fish, they are, with one exception, a disaster at tenderizing."

Here's the full article by food scientist Shrley Corriher: Marinades Add Flavor but Don't Always Tenderize - Fine Cooking Recipes, Techniques and Tips

Your best bet might be to braise the meat.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Marinating, to tenderize is a waste of time and resources.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom