To Whom Do I Complain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChefJune

Master Chef
about those AWFUL roll-over ads that roll over all by themselves, and then, just while you're reading down where the ad has thrown you, it rolls back up and the page goes flying!

I realize ads are essential to the success of the site, but those roll-over ads are distracting. They make me want to roll over to another site that doesn't employ them.

PLEASE, HELP! :wacko:

June, what browser are you using? If you want to get rid of them entirely, switch to Firefox and install the Adblocker app. It will solve it all and make you MUCH happier.

Failing that, can you drop the URL of the ad that bugs you in this thread? I don't know if we can do anything about it, but we can try.

They are the banner ads at the top... flash player ads, no URL I can find.
VERY VERY bothersome indeed.

OK, how about describing what the ads are for? I don't see them so I can't help get rid of them. Help me out here so I have something to work with.

OK, how about describing what the ads are for? I don't see them so I can't help get rid of them. Help me out here so I have something to work with.

Dell is the main culprit.

I can't change browsers here at work. We have to use only what they install for everyone. And they don't use Firefox.

I wondered if it was a work thing. OK, thanks June. I'll take this to the techies and see if anything can be done.

I can't change browsers here at work. We have to use only what they install for everyone. And they don't use Firefox.

Would you be allowed to run a portable version of FireFox or Chrome from a USB key? Those wouldn't be installed on the computer, just on the key.

I hate IE with a passion but was curious about what you were seeing.

LOL ChefJune, I can see where that would freak you out. =P Dell is trying to be clever and takes over your mouse pointer as you roll it over their ad (it changes the mouse pointer to a finger ...). The annoying part is is that the mouse pointer doesn't get handed back to the browser properly when you roll it off of the ad. It gets stuck. Then you start flinging your mouse around quickly to figure out where the pointer is because it completely disappears for a bit of time. And pretty soon the browser gets control of the mouse pointer again but it was a bad hand off from the ad, so it tries to play catch up and ends up tossing you around the page. LOL Horrible description but true.

The good news is is that it only happens once per new page; once you get the flying annoying page bounce it won't happen again on that page. The bad news is that if you refresh a page or click onto a new page the same thing happens again.

This info width=0 height=0 style='position:absolute;left:0px;top:0px;'> is displayed above the ad.

/shrug

The only thing you can do to keep it from happening is if you make sure to immediately click somewhere safe (i.e. far far away from the evil ad area) on each new page you view. It's not a technical solution but it should help prevent you from getting sea-sick :chris: while reading the posts. And avoid venturing into the ad area at all with your mouse.

Attachments

• dellad.jpg
    dellad.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 197
I can truthfully say that were I in the market for a product - I wouldn't buy one with such an irritating way of advertising. The Dell thing is awful.

Dell today... yesterday it was a different ad.
Alix, you should turn off Adblocker and ENJOY!

(My personal opinion is that any advertising venue that forces me
to make changes to my browser, etc, is TOO INTRUSIVE and should not be.)

GrillingFool, no WAY!!! I love my Firefox, and can't believe it took me so long to switch over. However, on my laptop (MacBook) I see ads, but not the ones you are describing. I just have the regular banner ads and haven't seen any of those irritating ones.

I've passed the info along folks! Please keep letting us know about the problems with the drop down ads and we'll look into it.

There's a FF for Mac???? Really? I never thought to check! Safari has been pleasant and I don't find I get as many ads with it, but I'm off to check now. :wub: GB!

If you are looking at browsers, check out Chrome from Google. I was a loyal FireFox user for years. It's still on both of my machines, but I almost always use Chrome now. The only thing I miss is the password manager. A friend of mine finds that his laptop runs 25-30% longer on battery if he uses Chrome instead of FireFox. They are both memory hogs, but Chrome seems to release memory better than FireFox. I don't have to reboot to make Chrome give me back that memory.

I tried Chrome and have heard great things about it too. The deal breaker for me though was that Chrome did not have an ad-blocker at the time.

I tried Chrome and have heard great things about it too. The deal breaker for me though was that Chrome did not have an ad-blocker at the time.

I am only using two extensions with Chrome - session manager and Wiki Companion. I don't see those ads that people were complaining about. There are lots of other extensions. https://chrome.google.com/extensions?

I tried it when it came out. I didn't have a "C Drive" on that computer, so it wouldn't install properly and it wouldn't remove the bits it had installed :mad: They had hard-coded to C! I expect better from Google. I don't think it is fixed, but I made sure that my current machines have "C Drives". (I sometimes use partitions.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom