Help me start brewing beer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I am ready to start brewing beer. I have never done it before and don't know where to start or what I need. My wife wants to buy me the stuff to get started, but knows even less about it than I do. Can anyone tell me exactly what I need for the basics and maybe sources where we can get the stuff? Any hints and advice would always be welcome too. Thanks.

I don't know anything about it but good luck. What kind of beer are you thinking about? I have a friend that does his own IPA.

I like darker beers like stouts and porters, but also enjoy a good IPA or other ales. Lagers and Pilsners could be fun too. Who am I kidding, I will brew any type I can ;)

I like darker beers like stouts and porters, but also enjoy a good IPA or other ales. Lagers and Pilsners could be fun too. Who am I kidding, I will brew any type I can ;)

All beer isn't the same, but that doesn't mean they aren't all good eh?

As my FIL says when I ask him what kind of beer he wants..."doesn't matter as long as it's cold".

Thanks PF.

If you were in Missoula, I know exactly where I would send you for help. We have lots of really good microbreweries around here and there is at least one that lets you use their equipment to brew and bottle your own.:)

There is a place down the street called Deja Brew. I thought they sold brewing equipment so DW went down today, but turns out they re a brew on premises place. All these years of passing by and I never knew. DW said she was the only sober one there.

I brewed it for a few years. I found that the products tasted very yeasty. Some kits were OK, but it is a lot of work. Maybe I never set myself up well enough. I still have all of the gear in the basement. My wife made me stop because it made me fart a lot:ermm:.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
GB, the brew on the premises place might be a good place to start. The expert guidance they provide should be very useful and you get to use some equipment and see what you like and dislike before you spend your own money on gear.

There's a similar place in south Nashua, nearer to us and they do both wine and beer. We stopped in and chatted with them some time a go and I was impressed with how they guided you through the process to ensure you got a drinkable result.

I just checkout out their prices Andy and they were must steeper than what I expect a basic start up will cost me. It sounds like a fun place to go though.

yeah Deja Brew does wine too.

GB, when I started to think about making wine, I ordered from Home Brewers Online. They have nifty kits and such. Then I found out they were right down the road! If you were local, they even have a home-brewer's group.

Home Brewer's Online

I bought a kit, which came with a wine-making basics. Then I found a few books with the basics of what I needed for wine - specifically terms and what they meant. I had fun with it all - even designing my label, naming my wine, and selecting the bottles. Then I just went ahead and made it! I cannot wait to hear how your results turn out!

~Kathleen

GB,

I have a lot of experience in the art and practice of brewing beer. I've competed in club level contests and done well. I've brewed a great many 5 gallon batches since the mid-90's. This is a really complex and nuanced subject and lots of work but enjoyable too.

First thing. Don't buy any equipment...yet. Especially a "Mr. Beer" kit.

Second thing. If you really want to understand the process start by reading Papazian. This book will help you fully understand the subject while having fun with it.

Here is the best bit of advice I ever got on the subject:

Everything...EVERYTHING that touches the wort must be cleaned and sanitized.
Let me know if you want to give this a try and what your budget is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom