Howdy from Houston, Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cooltouch

Assistant Cook
Just joined and this is my first post.

I'm glad I found this place, and I hope to pick up some pointers as well as menu ideas from the folks here, and perhaps pass on a few that I've learned over the years.

About me briefly:

My mom got me started cooking when I was a pretty young kid. As I recall, she started me off with oatmeal. And not the quick microwave stuff, either, which didn't exist back then. It came out of the big tube. By the time I was in my teens I already knew my way around a kitchen, and by my late teens I was working in restaurants as a cook -- hamburgers, pizzas, sandwiches, etc.

Over the years, I've done just about everything there is to do in a restaurant, from bussing tables to managing a small chain of pizza parlors. But even though I consider myself to be a good cook with a fair amount of experience, when my wife comes into the kitchen, I just get out of the way. And often take notes. She's worked as a chef most of her life, and has even been to a cooking school. And even though she's ethnic Chinese from Taiwan, she can cook anything. Mexican, French, Italian, Cajun, Chinese (of course) -- you name it. But I got her beat when it comes to Texas-style low-and-slow barbecue. She just don't get the low-and-slow part. :cool:

I joined mostly just because I enjoy cooking, but also because I'm always looking for tips and interesting menu selection for low-carb cooking, which can often get kind of boring after a while.

Okay, well, time to go explore the site.

Welcome to DC! You should fit right in. There are professionals, kitchen magicians, and beginning cooks and everything in between. :) Invite the Missus!

~Kathleen

Welcome to DC. You've found the perfect place for the things you are looking for. Jump right in. Ask questions. We love to help and learn from others.

...But even though I consider myself to be a good cook with a fair amount of experience, when my wife comes into the kitchen, I just get out of the way. And often take notes...
:flowers: Welcome...glad to have you...oh, and notice my signature below regarding your queen in the kitchen..teehee (not the one about age)

Thanks for the warm invites, folks. Man, there's a lot of stuff here, huh. It's gonna take me a while to absorb even a small amount of the resources here.

Hope you enjoy your stay here. I also would like to extend an invite to your lovely partner.

We may learn a thing or two, and having more friends is always a good thing.

Anywho, welcome.

Hope you enjoy your stay here. I also would like to extend an invite to your lovely partner.

We may learn a thing or two, and having more friends is always a good thing.

Anywho, welcome.

Thanks for the invite. I'll pass it along, but the wifey doesn't do computers unless it's browsing through the jade listings on eBay. :rolleyes: Heck, she almost never writes down her own recipes. When she comes up with something good, I have to follow her around with a pen and paper, making notes to preserve her culinary creations for posterity. :cool:

Thanks for the invite. I'll pass it along, but the wifey doesn't do computers unless it's browsing through the jade listings on eBay. :rolleyes: Heck, she almost never writes down her own recipes. When she comes up with something good, I have to follow her around with a pen and paper, making notes to preserve her culinary creations for posterity. :cool:

Poke her, and say we "think" she can't cook.

I hope that reverse logic will have her spend time here :)

But in any case, you come and write some of your notes. I will not be the only one that appreciates your note taking.

Hope to hear from you "both" soon.

Welcome to DC. When your DW makes something really yummy, let us know about it here. You'd be amazed how ideas get us going.

I'll pass your comments along, but it ain't gonna do any good. As I mentioned in my first post, my wife is from Taiwan. She's a voracious reader -- in Chinese. Her English reading skills are . . . well, let's just say she doesn't have a whole lot of patience when it comes to reading English. She can when she has to, but she doesn't much like to. And I don't see that changing any time soon.

Yeah, I'll dig through some of our recipes and share a few with y'all. That I can do.

Back
Top Bottom