Stew in a Blizzard - Minnesotan Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
Here in MN we are having an awful blizzard...the worst in 20 years! I am completely snowed in. The only way I can get out is if I ski or snowshoe...no kidding!

So, tonight is stew with wine, bread and hot chocolate...anyone else in the midwest?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 148
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 153
Minnesotans for global worming. That is the sign oin my new t-shirt, I am planing to order. My snowblower broke, How do you like that, huh.

Looks great.

Thanks, forgot to add, because I'm snowed in, I used what I had - peas, hominy, white potato, sweet potato, leeks, boneless pork ribs. It was fun to do. :chef:

you should come to sunny california. it was 80 here today. we grumble if it goes to 40 at night. i grew up where it snowed and sleeted and rained for days. i don't miss it a bit.

Oh, yeah! Most of the storm has hit north and south of us (thank heaven!), but on Friday I went and stocked up, and judging by the people around me, my fellow small-towners did the same. We won't get hit as bad as you will, but everything is buried in snow already. I made a version of turkey tetrazzini for supper tonight, myt husband ad a bit too much to drink and went to bed early. Good thing, because, and some people down south don't know, if you don't shovel your walk before the mailman comes, he doesn't have to deliver, and at least in our small town, you have to have the public sidewalks shovelled within a certain number of hours after the snow stops. So it'll be heavy lifting tomorrow. Our first wave looked very wet, which is h--l on the back. Tell me again why I moved here from Florida???

you should come to sunny california. it was 80 here today. we grumble if it goes to 40 at night. i grew up where it snowed and sleeted and rained for days. i don't miss it a bit.

Me neither! I wasn't going to rub it in, but since you mentioned it, I'm sitting here with the windows wide open, wearing a t-shirt and shorts. It won't last, it's been in the 30s already, but warms up nicely so far when the wind is from the south.

The weather forecast says that we'll be getting that blizzard Sunday evening, Monday.

At least our earthquakes are small and we only get a serious rain after there has been a hurricane to the south of us.

I got my first taste of snow on Dec 2nd. I drove from Maryland to Michigan with hardly a flake of snow fluttering through the air. Just South of Flint, MI, the snow came down so hard you could barely see the road. And it was that way to Mackinaw City. I had to drive between 35 and 45 mph for about 350 miles or so. Then it cleared up until I was about 6 miles from home. Then it came down so hard that I missed my turn off from the highway. I had to go another 3 miles to the next turn off and then backtrack through town. I left Maryland at 8:30 a.m. and got home at 3:30 a.m. the next morning. That was a long drive. It's been snowing off and on ever since. We have about a foot and a half of snow on the level. It's been snowing since about 8:00 p.m. this evening and hasn't stopped yet at 4:00 a.m. I'm thinking that I will be shoveling a bit tomorrow. I'm not in a blizzard here, as I'm surrounded by trees. But it's blowing pretty good in town.

Hope everyone weathers the storm well.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Wow is right, Zereh.

As I said in yesterday's post, it wouldn't last. The wind is blowing up to 23 and it's out of the NW so it's chilling down quickly. There is a freeze watch starting tonight and through Monday.

Oh well it was nice to have a little break yesterday, now to get out the socks and sweats. Brrrrr.

It's stopped snowing - were I am we got 14" - about 30 miles from here they got 20" !!!

The sky is clear and the temperature is -1... (fahrenheit)

If it's not one thing, it's the next!

I am in Missouri, and only have an inch, but it is 19 degrees, and so windy that I have big 'snow devils' dancing thru the yard. So glad I got all my errands completed yesterday--today, I will be making cherry jelly and lemon curd. Until I run out of sugar, anyhow.

My mom lives in MN, near Rochester. I talked to her yesterday late morning and she said they had 9 inches and it was still coming down. We have sideways snow right now but we're not getting near the accumulation folks up north have gotten. I don't mind the snow but the cold is just ridiculous. Tomorrow we will have -20 to -25 with wind chill factored in.

The way I had our meals planned out... I wasn't paying attention so for 4 days in a row, starting yesterday, we're having soups/stews. Yum!!

All we got out of it, as it swept past, was two days of freezing rain. Took me 30 minutes to drive 2 miles through town.

All of our friends in Minnesota and Wisconsin got hammered by this last storm. But be glad. Be very glad. We just got a couple inches here in SSM. However, back about 15 years (give or take a few years), the same hear we remodeled our house, we got 60 inches, that's five feet, boys and girls, in one weekend. But it was all powder and had now substance to it. Even so, that was a lot of snow to shovel out of the driveway and off of the roof. I almost made the long trip from the roof to the ground when I slipped on some ice on the roof. Fortunately, and ice damn had built up on the northwest corner and my boot heels caught the lip and stopped my slide.

I'm not trying to do the one-upmanship thing here. I'm just saying that I'm happy it wasn't worse for all of you who got hit. In the meantime, enjoy your stews.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I almost made the long trip from the roof to the ground when I slipped on some ice on the roof. Fortunately, and ice damn had built up on the northwest corner and my boot heels caught the lip and stopped my slide.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

No more playing Rudolph for you!:)

300 miles south of Goodweed and we have a couple of inches of snow. We were told we would get 6-12 inches accumulation by Monday morning but our weather reports are always grossly exaggerated. It totally ticks me off. You can't plan anything because you never know for sure what the weather is going to be. I'd almost rather get the 12 inches of snow and know that I was getting it than to be constantly cancelling plans all winter because the weather reports are so totally inaccurate. For us it was chicken stew for dinner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom