Glasstop stove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

straitbo449

Assistant Cook
just bought a new kenmore glasstop stove after a few uses the glass top is starting to blister close to the elements really makes the new top look terrible know any possible causes for this? should i seek warranty from sears? or is this just common and normal for glass tops?

no that isn't normal. I have had my Samsung for over a year and after cleaning, it looks like new, hardly any scratches.

Could there have been a film on top of the stove that wan't removed? I think on mine the top is glass and the color is underneath (or in the glass), so there is nothing to bubble or peel.

That's definitely a problem. It should not have blisters. Call whoever sold it to you and get a replacement. I'd be scared of having the entire ceramic top shatter if it's doing that after only one week of use.

(I bought a high-end one several years ago and hated it. Never ever again would I buy one. Trying to control the heat is nearly impossible. It seemed like it had two settings ~ scorching hot or not hot enough. <-- Which meant I had to babysit everything with an eagle-eye or suffer the consequences. I also hated having to have the fussy cleaning stuff on hand all the time to get the crud off of it. The only redeeming feature was the convection oven. That I loved.)

Check in with Sears. I bought mine from them (it's not kenmore though) and never had that happen. Mine had a plastic sheet on it that pulled off but it was obvious. There should not be any bubbles on the top!

just bought a new kenmore glasstop stove after a few uses the glass top is starting to blister close to the elements really makes the new top look terrible know any possible causes for this? should i seek warranty from sears? or is this just common and normal for glass tops?

My sister in law bought a Kenmore glass top about 10 years ago and the same thing happened to hers, but she had glass chunks popping out too. It may be a defect in the glass top and should be under warranty. Hers had to be replaced 3 times and she finally went out and bought a coil element stove. I have a Samsung that is just over a year old and it has never done that. I was hesitant to get it because of her experience, but I love mine, and it's easy to keep clean. Hope you get your problem resolved.

Definately a problem. We bought our first glasstop stove about 10 years ago and the quality and workmanship was great. The stove itself looked and felt (we clean behind the stove weekly) heavy-duty.

We had no issues with it.

We recently moved to a new province and bought the same brand as we had before. It was the more expensive model, however we immediately noticed that the quality was not as good as the first one we bought. Within 1-2 years of the initial purchase, we saw pits on the stove top - the only thing to have spilled over was water. Should not cause pits. It took weeks of "discussion" with the warranty holder until they finally replaced the stove.

Some of the stoves today are being made in Mexico, and the place we got our replacement at even the sales person complained about the quality of the product. If I remember correctly, Kenmore is also made in Mexico which is where our Whirlpool Gold is made.

It should be under warranty, so I'd have it checked out. I would also suggest buying an extended warranty on the stove.

I had another thought on this issue - are your pot bottoms flat? The instructions with my stove said to use pots with flat bottoms, not to use cast iron or porcelan coated pots. Some aluminum pots, and even Revere ware can warp causing an uneven heating of the element which might cause the blisters. I use stainless steel and they heat well and I've not had a problem with the elements.

Just reading all of this, I'm glad I don't have one, and now I don't want one.
I'll stick with my good old gas flame stove.
I'm so sorry for your problems with it straightbo....such a bummer! Grrr.

I'm with you, Kayelle. And I'm going to be in the market for a new stove soon. It's good info reading real life problems.

I'm with you, Kayelle. And I'm going to be in the market for a new stove soon. It's good info reading real life problems.

Pacanis, I've never heard of, or seen a professional chef use a glass top, or an electric coil range. I'm sure not a professional, but I wouldn't have anything but a gas flame stove. I had an electric range once, and it nearly drove me bonkers. :wacko: Good luck on your quest for a new stove.

I need to see the flame, too.
Still... a new fangled thing... lol

Pacanis, I've never heard of, or seen a professional chef use a glass top, or an electric coil range. I'm sure not a professional, but I wouldn't have anything but a gas flame stove. I had an electric range once, and it nearly drove me bonkers. :wacko: Good luck on your quest for a new stove.

I have been cooking on electric (not by choice) for 25+ years. I don't hate it any more, but dang, I wish I had a gas stove.

I remember ads from when I was a kid. One showed a grill from the side with gas burners. The flames went up and down. The eggs got flipped. Something else went on the griddle. Then the ad said, "This short order cook would be a long order cook if he had to cook with anything but gas." There was another one about a chef simply refusing to cook if he didn't have gas.

If you are on the market for a new stove, and have enough money you should consider dual-fuel, or whatever the propar term is. Gas top and electric oven. It is the best for both cooking and baking.

My glass/ceramic stove is the best I've ever cooked on. MUCH better than any gas stovce I ever had... and I've had more than I will admit to.

Question: Can you use Le Creuset cookware on a flat-top stove? A friend has offered me the one that was in the house she bought--she has a Jennair with which she won't part <g>.

Question: Can you use Le Creuset cookware on a flat-top stove? A friend has offered me the one that was in the house she bought--she has a Jennair with which she won't part <g>.

Yes. I have done so regularly for nearly 15 years. Regular cast iron, too.

Back
Top Bottom