Experimental Dessert ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thisnameisnowtaken

Assistant Cook
Hello chefs!
I've been planning out some desserts for the past few months and trying to develop an idea for some rather interesting and experimental dishes, and I'd like to bounce the ideas off you guys before I start my experiments.
The first idea I had was while I was studying hospitality at TAFE, which is a dessert using chilled fried fish.
I need it chilled and icy because that's the texture I want the fish to have, a kind of icy, crystalline texture with a sweetened fish, most likely served with a caramel sauce.
The second idea came today when I was in the kitchen during service, talking about chicken stock, and one of the chefs said (after I inquired) that there were no desserts using chicken stock or chicken. I thought, "Why the hell not?!"
So that is my new project.
Does anybody have any suggestions how chicken stock could be used in a dessert? And advice or tips on the fish dessert, particularly what fish would be good (I was currently thinking of King George Whiting)
Thanks guys!

Sure... Singapore curry is coconut cream as based. After cooking a curry chicken for 2 hours, we cool down it down and then use the curry sauce as one of the ingredient for making ice cream. I tell.... its very interesting.

Once when I went in china... I had to eat i frozen frog... But even if i´m french... I changed my mind.

You could try that ^^

Once when I went in china... I had to eat i frozen frog... But even if i´m french... I changed my mind.

You could try that ^^

YES! That is EXACTLY the response I'm looking for with this dessert. The general idea is that fish can NOT be a dessert, and I want to prove that wrong. I have some great ideas for this and if I succeed, I will have made something truly special.
And of course, I will post pictures on here :P

Unfortunatly I don't have the recipe of that... tasty... strange... frog recipe :/

Unfortunatly I don't have the recipe of that... tasty... strange... frog recipe :/

That's a shame, I would love to have a crack at that.
I love my job, but they're all regular dishes. When I become qualified I want to be able to expand my expertise beyond the conventional.
I have a great passion for cooking and even more of a passion for the science behind it.

You probably already watch it but Iron Chef might give you some ideas on how to use the typically savory ingredients in desserts. You may also explore more Asian cuisine, as they tend to prefer less-sweet desserts and often incorporate savory ingredients into them. I've seen it on Bizarre Foods, so it must be true, lol.

There's another thing we do... we have frozen sri lakan crab in Singapore. Its a main course but i feel that it should go well with Vanilla Ice cream~~

I love Iron Chef, but I don't actually watch TV at all, so I very rarely see it, I really should download it...
However, I have just finished watching Kitchen Chemistry with Heston Blumenthal, who I have decided is my favourite chef!
His approach to food is inspiring to me and reignited my passion for food :)

For Chinese dim sum, and many countries around the world, fish is often mashed up with other ingredients including egg, to create a paste that can be formed (often, a doughnut hole sized ball) for steaming, frying, etc.

They come in various textures, but I've always thought of their textures as very much like a dessert. It's simple enough to add sweet ingredients to the paste. I have eaten artisnal kamaboko (surimi fish cake) that were sweet, airy and carmelized on the outside.

That sounds amazing! I might use that as a side for the dessert actually :)
The idea I've had is to lightly poach the fish in a sugar syrup before frying it, then putting the fried sugar fish in the freezer to chill, once it starts to freeze (not freeze, I don't want a solid fish), take it out and serve it with a caramel sauce. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom