Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bolas De Fraile

Executive Chef
A long time ago when I was a kid my Mum would make cream from unsalted butter by adding milk, my kid brother remembers everything about our childhood and said I was a smuck, my Mum is 95 yrs old and cannot remember even under torture:LOL:
Am I a smuck or does anyone remember the method.

It makes sense. You make butter by churning cream to separate the ft from the milk. You start with cream and end up with butter and skim milk. I guess the process can be reversed. I'm not sure how you would re-incorporate the fat into the milk.

Do you remember how your mom did it?

Hmm.... interesting topic. I wonder if skimmed milk were added back to butter and lightly whisk... can this reverse?

I don't think it would give you cream, but I think that it would make an excellent cream substitute in some recipes. You might have to do the math to figure out how much butter and how much milk, if the fat content matters. If it doesn't matter that much I would plop some butter in the bottom of a measuring cup and add milk to the level of cream required. Actually, it might be better to start with a bit of milk, then add the butter, and then the rest of the milk. That way the butter won't stick to the bottom of the cup.

I've used butter and milk as a cream substitute, but I'd have to Google to get the correct ratio.

I think any fresh cream butter would work if the process worked. I don't know what you'd get if you used a cultured butter.

The real issue is how to re-disburse the fat molecules into the cream and get them to stay.

On rare occasion, I've eaten a few (but not many) butters that tasted like heavy sweet cream. Such butters make a great accompaniment to fruit jams and would seem to be more likely candidates for enriching milk.

I never heard the term "smuck" before, but I like it Bolis.

I think I agree with Z....I have a mental picture of trying to put the egg back into the chicken.:wacko::LOL:

It seems to me, if it could be done, one would need the use of a food processor, or a blender, both of which were not invented when we were kids.

Sorry, but I think your brother is right.......you're "smucked".
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Kay I remember Mum getting her first Kenwood Chef when I was about 8yrs in 1959 it was after that I remember the cream thing.

Bill we did have a house cow, Mum made fresh farmers cheese but not butter.

The only butter I remember was Dannish Lurpak salted or sweet, I remember her showing me the difference in color between the winter and summer butter.
The more I talk about this the more I know I am not a Shmuck:)

lol kayelle. you never heard of a schmuck before?

oy gevalt. we need a yiddish dictionary before i get farklempt and get all mishugina.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom