Best way to cook a turkey...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dadov3

Assistant Cook
I know it is a silly question , but I'm new to cooking. Any ideas.

It will be fine. If you have time to brine it tonight before roasting it tomorrow that will help you get rave reviews.

All of the above.....
BUT....
The best turkey I ever had was cooked at Rendezvous over a low to medium firepit on a spit. The gal who was cooking it was strugglin' to get the turkey on the spit so I gave her a hand and a dinner invitation was the result. It took awhile to get it done but it was mighty good.
I would not recommend this method unless you have some experience cooking over and managing a wood fire...but it was mighty good.

thaw completely in the fridge (may take several days) if frozen. rinse and pat dry. remove neck and giblets.

read basic directions on the wrapper for a ball park idea of cooking time. If turkey has "basting liquid" already injected there is no need to brine.

season outside of bird (if you stuff it do so loosely, and have all ingredients cooked)

the bigger the bird the lower the temp. 350-325. If it is getting too brown, tent with foil.

basting? maybe once. the less you open the oven, the more evenly the bird will cook. Turn it every hour back to front as oven heat can be variable.

If it has a pop up timer use it. If not, get an instant read thermometer. The USDA says 180, but 165-170 will give you a moister bird and is perfectly safe. Check temp in thick part of breast and in the stuffing. Let rest (tented) for 15 min before carving.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom