Need Advice -- Omaha Steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Has anyone dealt with this company? We just got a mail offer and my husband is tempted. Introductory with many steaks and others, for $60 (+ shipping, something like $79). I was just going to throw it out. Has anyone dealt with them? I know they've been around forever.

Oh, dear; no help since I'd have to drive to Chicago to find prime beef. That's 3+ hours, and I don't know anyone who could recommend a butcher in Chicago. I know a good butcher around here, but there's no way they could match this price, and prime isn't sold anywhere near here.

What I'm asking for is it is better than your grocery store (that is to say, local, small town grocery store) beef, and am I being cheated if I buy this?

Last edited:
My Dad loved them. We purchased one of their specials last year at Christmas. I think it is a bit pricey for what you get but I have never had anything bad from them. The specials are better than the regular price. The service is good and you do get a great cooler to use after you unpack the food.

I think they are very expensive for what you get. You're not going to notice some huge difference when you eat one of their steaks.

We received a similar offer for $49 off the price of some special package (or a reduced package price of $49, I forget which) and I just tossed it.

If you've never had it, go ahead and give it a try. When you get the package figure out how much you spent per pound before you decide to buy again.

I bought from them once or twice. It's nice having a selection of goodies to stash in your freezer, but the portions are small (for me anyway), and true, nothing exceptional to their steaks or anything. And you can expect to have them bother you by phone for the next several months if you don't downright tell them to lose your number. Actually, I remember liking their hot dogs and sirloin patties more than their steaks. And the cooler. The cooler they ship the food in is perfect for keeping a pork butt wrapped up and warm in, lol.

Joining the club of "not impressed". About the only steaks I cook are fillet mignon and theirs were way over priced and nothing special. I was very disappointed after listening to all the hype for years.

I used them once for my in-laws, they are difficult to buy for. This gave them a variety of meals that they normally wouldn't have bothered with and the portions were good for the 2 of them. I doubt I would bother for myself since I still have kind of big eaters with the 2 young adult sons. I agree that you can probably find just as good or better elsewhere but for the price, to have it shipped directly to my in-laws was worth it. I agree with Andy to go ahead and try it and then decide.

Oh, dear; no help since I'd have to drive to Chicago to find prime beef. That's 3+ hours, and I don't know anyone who could recommend a butcher in Chicago. I know a good butcher around here, but there's no way they could match this price, and prime isn't sold anywhere near here.

What I'm asking for is it is better than your grocery store (that is to say, local, small town grocery store) beef, and am I being cheated if I buy this?

If you REALLY want prime beef or other meat or even seafood and have it shipped to your door go here:

Steaks Online, Prime Beef, and Gourmet Meats - Allen Brothers

or here:

The Best Dry Aged Steaks, Prime Beef, Gourmet Meats, Beef Recipes Online | Only at Lobel's of New York

Bargain bin prices:chef:;):chef:

In my local area Prime meat at best if I am really lucky to see it is only sold in December.

I'd drive 7 hours round trip before paying $50+ per pound for dry aged prime. At the $25 we've been paying, it costs us less than half what we'd be paying to eat in a restaurant. To my taste frozen beef, like that from Omaha, is not quite as succulent as fresh dry aged. Consequently we only have this delicacy for two or three days after we make our food shopping safari every 4 weeks. Working near NYC's Chelsea meat packing district in the 1960's got me interested in prime beef.

Some of the foodstuffs available in LI's Hamptons compensates for the heavy traffic and hoity toities.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom