ISO Pressure Cooker Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I got my first pressure cooker for xmas. Now I need to get a clue how to use it!! LOL I know it cooks food quick.

Any and all pressure cooker tips/cooking times for any & all foods /recipes/ideas will be appreciated.

I have a 5.5 lb bottom round but I can only find recipe/instructions for 3 lbs of meat to cook for 45 - 55 minutes. Can I cook this one for 60 minutes? Or do I HAVE to cut it down?

Thank you in advance.

I'd cut it into two or three pieces just to even the cooking areas of the meat. I've never had one on for a whole hour. 45 minutes sounds about right.

Remember that this much pressure can be DANGEROUS. It works well, extremely well, but follow the basic guidelines strictly.

Your seal ring must be absolutely clean and set in right. Don't leave it unattended. When the time is up, take off the heat, and when the "bell" or whatever you call it stops making noise, remove it quickly. let it sit for awhile while getting other dinner things ready.

Slowly, separate the handles so that you can get the top off and gradually take it off.

You will find your meat fork tender. Make gravy, have fun. Eat.

I'd cut it into two or three pieces just to even the cooking areas of the meat. I've never had one on for a whole hour. 45 minutes sounds about right.

Remember that this much pressure can be DANGEROUS. It works well, extremely well, but follow the basic guidelines strictly.

Your seal ring must be absolutely clean and set in right. Don't leave it unattended. When the time is up, take off the heat, and when the "bell" or whatever you call it stops making noise, remove it quickly. let it sit for awhile while getting other dinner things ready.

Slowly, separate the handles so that you can get the top off and gradually take it off.

You will find your meat fork tender. Make gravy, have fun. Eat.
Zhizara is absolutely correct.
If you got this new for Christmas, to be sure it came with an instruction manual. If you have the instruction manual, read it and follow the directions closely.
If you don't have the instruction manual, the maker's name and model number of the pressure cooker should be stamped on it somewhere. You will likely be able to find on online copy of the manual.
Pressure cookers are wonderful. I use mine a lot but you can get into some serious trouble in a hurry if you don't know what you are doing.

I got my first pressure cooker for xmas. Now I need to get a clue how to use it!! LOL I know it cooks food quick.

Any and all pressure cooker tips/cooking times for any & all foods /recipes/ideas will be appreciated.

I have a 5.5 lb bottom round but I can only find recipe/instructions for 3 lbs of meat to cook for 45 - 55 minutes. Can I cook this one for 60 minutes? Or do I HAVE to cut it down?

Thank you in advance.

That sounds like a long time for a pressure cooker. I've cooked a 3 pound to shredding texture in about 20 minutes.

IMO pressure cookers are great for meat, beans and other long-cooking stuff but very impractical (yet doable) for veggies and other quick cooking foods.

I have been using mine for cooking whole grains--works great and I like the texture better then when I used to cook the grains in a saucepan. Barley takes 18 minutes instead of 45.

If your food is not quite done when you take the lid off, you can always put the lid back on for a couple more minutes, or finish it without sealing the lid. Take the ring out of the lid and use it like a regular pan.

I forgot--the pressure cooker is absolutely great for making stock--the stock is clear and delicious, and if you cook the bones and meat long enough, the dogs and cats will love the stuff you strain out--poultry bones get soft and are easily crushed. I haven't done beef stock, so check those bones before you feed them.

Depending on the shape, that might be big enough for pressure canning. You would need a rack for the bottom. Pressure canning is great, even for stuff that could be water bath canned. In my experience, everything sealed on the first try. YMMV

Great stuff so far! Keep the tips/info coming!!

Thank you so much!!

I am going to do my first pot roast to day.

Great stuff so far! Keep the tips/info coming!!

Thank you so much!!

I am going to do my first pot roast to day.

I have to run off to work. I'll check back later to see how it comes out...I've been using a pressure cooker for years!

Do I HAVE to soak my dry beans if I use the pressure cooker?

From Express Cooking, by Barry Bluestein & Kevin Morrissey: "No tonly will the cooker cook your beans quickly, it will also eliminate the need to soak beans for an extended period of time...Just combine the beans with water in the pressure cooker and cook for 2-3 minutes at high pressure as the first step in most bean recipes." This is for beans that will continue to cook in a recipe, like chili.

Only fill the cooker halfway with beans and water. Make sure to rinse the gasket and steam valve between uses.

I have the chart for bean cooking times, if you have some specific beans in mind I'll look up the timing for you.

Last edited:
From Express Cooking, by Barry Bluestein & Kevin Morrissey: "No tonly will the cooker cook your beans quickly, it will also eliminate the need to soak beans for an extended period of time...Just combine the beans with water in the pressure cooker and cook for 2-3 minutes at high pressure as the first step in most bean recipes." This is for beans that will continue to cook in a recipe, like chili.

Only fill the cooker halfway with beans and water. Make sure to rinse the gasket and steam valve between uses.

I have the chart for bean cooking times, if you have some specific beans in mind I'll look up the timing for you.
Thank you PF!! Can you post the link to the bean cooking times?

Thank you PF!! Can you post the link to the bean cooking times?

LOL! They are in a cookbook, that I was reading from. That's why I said specific beans, so I wouldn't have to type the whole chart.:)

I can and will type the chart for you, but not tonight! There are 28 beans listed:ohmy:

Okay, now I have the giggles...:ROFLMAO:

LOL! They are in a cookbook, that I was reading from. That's why I said specific beans, so I wouldn't have to type the whole chart.:)

I can and will type the chart for you, but not tonight! There are 28 beans listed:ohmy:

Okay, now I have the giggles...:ROFLMAO:
WOW!! Thank you PF. Glad you had a giggle. :LOL:

You are going to love your pressure cooker. I cook whole roasts from frozen in an hour. But do read your manual. You don't want to mess around with hot water and pressure. You can cook the roast mostly done and near the end throw in your veggies so they don't get over cooked. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom