What Else Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the tips Zhizara, it is really relaxing. Sometimes I sit and watch TV whilst I'm knitting, and I take it on the train in the morning. I have had to undo quite a few stitches, but am slowly getting there. :)

Thanks for the tips Zhizara, it is really relaxing. Sometimes I sit and watch TV whilst I'm knitting, and I take it on the train in the morning. I have had to undo quite a few stitches, but am slowly getting there. :)

I've been crocheting over a period of over 50 years and I still have to take out stitches and redo sometimes. Don't let it discourage you.:LOL:

It's January 8th. Is anyone making progress on their latest project?

I got the elastic for the waistband of my new denim (almost) skirt. It was 1/2" width, which should work just fine. I'll have to see if I can thread it through the channel I've already sewn, or whether I need to remove the seam and do it differently.

I'll be working on that today.

I removed the two large back pockets from a pair of Men's jeans to make the patch pockets for the skirt, so that should be done today too. The only two other things needed is to replace a button and hem.

So how's your project going?

Last edited:
I finished the denim skirt. I added patch pockets in a dark blue denim. I stole the pockets from the back pockets of a man's blue jean. They are huge and really cute.

I finally figured out how I'm going to make the cover for my sewing machine. I have a quilted pillow sham that goes with the living room colors. I tried it out and it will fit. It'll be an easy one too. The back of the sham can be the lining.

Is anybody working on a project?

Last edited:
I'm painting baseboards and door jambs - don't think that qualifies as a hobby. I'm not crazy about it, but I'm earning points for doing something that's more fun. I bought some frameless canvas wall pieces, each about 8 x 8", that were on the super-discounted pile for $1.80 each. I plan to mount printed photos I have taken, over top of the graphics.

I'm painting baseboards and door jambs - don't think that qualifies as a hobby. I'm not crazy about it, but I'm earning points for doing something that's more fun. I bought some frameless canvas wall pieces, each about 8 x 8", that were on the super-discounted pile for $1.80 each. I plan to mount printed photos I have taken, over top of the graphics.

Your wall decorations sound really nice.

The painting may not quite qualify as a hobby, but they will sure look nice when you are done and you'll feel good about your accomplishment.

Last edited:
I have a bag of odd Valentine's decorations. I plan on arranging them somehow to make a gift for Shrek...he'll be 65 on Sunday. If I can manage it, I will swipe the credit card to get him a gift.

I am crocheting two blankets at once for two babies due any minute now. They are completely different - one is made up of modified granny squares and the other is one piece with little crocheted "bows" in it. A great relaxing hobby. I am sorry I got away from it for so many years.

I am crocheting two blankets at once for two babies due any minute now. They are completely different - one is made up of modified granny squares and the other is one piece with little crocheted "bows" in it. A great relaxing hobby. I am sorry I got away from it for so many years.

How appropriate that posts regarding sewing, knitting, crochet appear on a 'thread.' All these comments are very inspiring, serving to add oxygen to that small ember of creativity that's been buried for a long time. They tried to teach me to sew a little in Jr. High - didn't take, although I did make some toddler clothes for my kids when they couldn't dress themselves and had to wear the stuff. Long time ago, mostly when the kids were little, tried macrame, knitting, and that deal where you have a little loom and crochet strips that get woven together.

Lately I've read a couple of books in the Elm Creek quilters series - she makes quilting sound so worthwhile and not that hard. I tried that a little too way back when and found it's fun but not as easy as it looks to produce something you wouldn't be embarrassed to show.

I think being snowed in was helpful at times, but it seems we just can't squelch that creative urge, witness the unusual and delicious recipe variations on the cooking threads. So glad I found the DC site - what fun it is! :in_love:

I made a pull over dress. Tried it on and decided I wanted a zipper in it so I am going to cut the back and add a zipper and A bottom Slit.I may do it doday to wear to church tomorrow, Zihara your denium skirt sounds Cute !! Would love to see a picture of it,

Josie

I made a pull over dress. Tried it on and decided I wanted a zipper in it so I am going to cut the back and add a zipper and A bottom Slit.I may do it doday to wear to church tomorrow, Zihara your denium skirt sounds Cute !! Would love to see a picture of it,

Josie

I wish I could, but don't have a camera or camera phone. :wacko:

I did turn the pillow sham into a cover for the sewing machine. That's probably the easiest project I've ever done. I just sewed the sides together and it fits fine. The top corners stick out kind of funny, so I'll probably make a kind of triangle dart for a better fit.

I need a new project! I took out all the clothes I've saved for fabric, but nothing inspired me, so I'll just have to wait.

I did have a nice idea for a warm pullover robe using 30X50 bath towels, but the bath towels that had been on sale were all gone:

For the length to be suitable, I'd cut off one end of each towel including the decorative band, then simply fold under the raw edge and make a boat neck. The cut off pieces will be for simple kimono style sleeves. It will probably look just like towels when I finish, but it will be warm and comfortable. The towels are very thick and luxurious looking, but I'll wait until they do another clearance sale (maybe). At full price the two towels shouldn't cost more than $14.

Last edited:
I love doing needlework. It has given me great pleasure and some cute stuff over the years.

It kept me from going crazy when things were crazy, and always, always, gave me an escape into a world where I could think clearly about a problem.

You can't stay tense while doing needlework. In order for the item to be pretty, you had to relax and keep good tension. Just picking up your latest project when you got home from work was a great way to calm yourself after the excitement of the day, including traffic...and weather and family members' bad days.

I'm impressed by the beautiful candles.... I'm sorry, I recognize the pretty work but I'm bad on names.

So, please forgive me for that.

I've been wanting to start this thread because many of us do needlework or crafts.

Now that we've almost passed the year end, I'd just like to ask you other DCers,

"What else are you making?

A mess of my kitchen:ohmy:
I now devote more time to cook more from scratch. It is only me and I can experiment away. Between that, the invention of the INTERNET and reading a few books, who has time?:LOL:

A mess of my kitchen:ohmy:
I now devote more time to cook more from scratch. It is only me and I can experiment away. Between that, the invention of the INTERNET and reading a few books, who has time?:LOL:

I like to have something in my hands to do when I watch TV. So that's about the only time, but I like to challenge myself to have a project to work on.

Sewing is fun. I like to take things and remake them like I just did with the skirt. There's a lot of seams to take out (not rip). So I found myself working on the skirt during evening TV.

Taking off the two men's new dark denim jeans back pockets. They were double stitched around the outside very tight stitching, but they look adorable on the lighter colored background of the skirt. They are big enough for my whole hand and have a kind of point at the bottom, yet they look kind of like flower pots.

If I'm not working on something like that, I'm doing Sudoku, which while satisfying, accomplishes nothing more than a rush of confidence when I complete a puzzle correctly.

Actually, I have to take that back. I think it is important as a mind exercise. I like the Extreme puzzles with a big X, and the Jigsaw is a mind bender, but doable.

I'm finding myself reading a lot less. Retirement with a steady income and low income housing has given me a whole new life. A lot nicer than before.

Last edited:
I like to have something in my hands to do when I watch TV. So that's about the only time, but I like to challenge myself to have a project to work on.

Sewing is fun. I like to take things and remake them like I just did with the skirt. There's a lot of seams to take out (not rip). So I found myself working on the skirt during evening TV.

Taking off the two men's new dark denim jeans back pockets. They were double stitched around the outside very tight stitching, but they look adorable on the lighter colored background of the skirt. They are big enough for my whole hand and have a kind of point at the bottom, yet they look kind of like flower pots.

If I'm not working on something like that, I'm doing Sudoku, which while satisfying, accomplishes nothing more than a rush of confidence when I complete a puzzle correctly.

Actually, I have to take that back. I think it is important as a mind exercise. I like the Extreme puzzles with a big X, and the Jigsaw is a mind bender, but doable.

I'm finding myself reading a lot less. Retirement with a steady income and low income housing has given me a whole new life. A lot nicer than before.

Zhizara, is there a thread somewhere on DC that offers the perspective of "It's only me" dedicated (probably not the right word) to older posters, either with or without grown children, offering tips and/or anecdotes of life on your own? While it's fun and interesting to read of the problems and solutions of the younger set, I've found myself seeking out the comments of several folks who seem to be in the same phase of living where I now find myself. This might not be so rich a vein as to require a separate thread - just wondering. Is there already one I just haven't seen, or could we use a new one? What do you think?

Zhizara, is there a thread somewhere on DC that offers the perspective of "It's only me" dedicated (probably not the right word) to older posters, either with or without grown children, offering tips and/or anecdotes of life on your own? While it's fun and interesting to read of the problems and solutions of the younger set, I've found myself seeking out the comments of several folks who seem to be in the same phase of living where I now find myself. This might not be so rich a vein as to require a separate thread - just wondering. Is there already one I just haven't seen, or could we use a new one? What do you think?

There is a thread for cooking for two or one, I think. I respond to others like me in whatever thread they're in.

There's Venting and Venting on a Happy Note. I always check in there. Venting helps when you're angry. I always have that moment when I post when i can feel the anger leaving me.

So often the vent is helped by someone who has a solution, or even just a((((HUG))).

Last edited:
There is a thread for cooking for two or one, I think. I respond to others like me in whatever thread they're in.

Thanks, Zhizara - I'll check out that thread and watch for tips from you - and PattY1, too.

And I do visit the Venting thread. Lots of times it makes me feel fortunate in comparison to some of the problems and just plain hard luck. ;)

Thanks, Zhizara - I'll check out that thread and watch for tips from you - and PattY1, too.

And I do visit the Venting thread. Lots of times it makes me feel fortunate in comparison to some of the problems and just plain hard luck. ;)

Actually, I cook mostly 4 servings. Two for now, two for the freezer. Especially lasagna which is a time intensive dish. Also for meat/bean soups. You have to make enough beans to go with at least one smoked hock. I usually have a bone from a pork loin roast or butt. Smoked turkey necks are small enough to use in small batches, but again with as much meat as I put in my beans I still have about 4 good size servings.

The problem I run into is that I want to cook say chili with the taco meat, but I have leftover chili already in the freezer. I froze the taco meat too. It doesn't have a sauce, so I can make something different with it like Tamale Pie.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom