Anyone Geocache?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Got a GPS for Christmas. If I can figure out how the heck to input coordinates I would like to try Geocaching. Anyone here play?

what's geocacheing, alix?

i have a tomtom that has saved my butt a few times. well, actually the voices of john cleese, mort goldman (from the simpsons), and beavis and butthead helped me find my way. :)

Geocaching is sort of a treasure hunt with your GPS. I'm still trying to figure out how to import stuff into my GPS. I think I need a special cable. Here is a link to the site where I'm learning about it. A couple members of my family do it and it sounds like fun. There are a couple in my neighbourhood that I'm going to try to find.

I have done it, and it is fun. And HARD! You would think, that if you have the exact coordinates for something, that you could walk right up to it, but that just isn't so. GPS units are only accurate to within a few meters, and that makes all the difference. And some folks go to great lengths to hide the geocache, and if it is a little one--whew!

I have a friend who is a dedicated geocacher--he takes his GPS with him on vacations and business trips, and always manages to find a few.

I've so wanted to put a Cache together for GeoCachers. We sail, so I thought it would be fun to make one that resembled a pirate's treasure and was only accessible by boat. :)

Alix, I have geocached a few times with my dad. You do need a cable to download the coordinates from the website to your GPS unit. The website link you posted is the one my dad uses. A few hints for when you go geocaching:

1. Wear sturdy shoes. You end up hiking around quite a bit.
2. Bring gloves for if you have to put your hands in a place that might have creepy crawlies.
3. A hat and sunscreen for the sun.
4. A pen and paper to record the geocaches you find.
5. Have fun.

I really have enjoyed going geocaching. You get to see some things and places you might not never knew existed.

Alix, I have geocached a few times with my dad. You do need a cable to download the coordinates from the website to your GPS unit. The website link you posted is the one my dad uses. A few hints for when you go geocaching:

1. Wear sturdy shoes. You end up hiking around quite a bit.
2. Bring gloves for if you have to put your hands in a place that might have creepy crawlies.
3. A hat and sunscreen for the sun.
4. A pen and paper to record the geocaches you find.
5. Have fun.

I really have enjoyed going geocaching. You get to see some things and places you might not never knew existed.

Thank you! That's very helpful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom