Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Thursday, 1/6/2011, What's cooking today? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/thursday-1-6-2011-whats-cooking-today-69435.html)

Zhizara 01-06-2011 01:10 PM

I too was inspired by the beautiful Confetti Soup by MsMofet.

I'm back from the grocery store and I think I have everything now. It won't be Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice (w/o the seasoning packet) as I now have wild rice as well as white.

I picked up some pimentos as well as the pimento olives (cheap with lots of extra pimentos).

I think I'm all set, after I rest up a bit and check out the recipe again.

In the meantime, I can boil up a chicken thigh and make more stock. I have a cup or more of beef stock, but I'll need more stock.

I'll make at least a 4 C liquid to 2 C rice batch. That way I'll have W&W (white & wild) rice to freeze too.

Fooey, Rats and Dag Nabbit. I don't have any half & half, or milk, or evaporated milk!

I can either wait until next Wednesday when I get the commodities (3 evaporated milk), OR, I can use a cream of chicken soup or two. Hmmmm.

I think the cream of soups will have to do. I'm really psyched about making this.

msmofet 01-06-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhizara (Post 956206)
I too was inspired by the beautiful Confetti Soup by MsMofet.

I'm back from the grocery store and I think I have everything now. It won't be Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice (w/o the seasoning packet) as I now have wild rice as well as white.

I picked up some pimentos as well as the pimento olives (cheap with lots of extra pimentos).

I think I'm all set, after I rest up a bit and check out the recipe again.

In the meantime, I can boil up a chicken thigh and make more stock. I have a cup or more of beef stock, but I'll need more stock.

I'll make at least a 4 C liquid to 2 C rice batch. That way I'll have W&W (white & wild) rice to freeze too.

WOW!! One more and I will pull a hat trick!! LOL

Start the wild rice first as it takes a bit longer to cook than white rice.

Hope you enjoy it!

AnnieDrews 01-06-2011 01:19 PM

Probably not a darn thing tonight! I'm thinking of going to Jersey Mike's to get a soup and salad. My son works there and this way I can get a full tummy AND see my son!!:brows:

licia 01-06-2011 01:22 PM

We are having pasta with sauce and meat balls, iceberg lettuce salad, garlic cheese toast. I just came from the market and the green bean prices are out of sight and the romaine didn't look as good as I like. Big freezes cause huge jump in fresh veggies. BTW green cabbage was .99. I paid $2.72 for a medium size head of cabbage.

Zhizara 01-06-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmofet (Post 956208)
WOW!! One more and I will pull a hat trick!! LOL

Start the wild rice first as it takes a bit longer to cook than white rice.

Hope you enjoy it!

I'm going to take my time with the soup as it will be better tomorrow anyway.

I also picked up a package of nice size scallops. Not deep sea size, but not little bay scallops either. Inch or better size, so I'm going to want some even if for a snack :rofl:

I wanted to make a cocktail sauce, but this store didn't have chili sauce! You know the kind like catsup, but with pickles or something. I like to take that and add a bunch of horseradish to it for cocktail sauce.

I figure I can make my own chili sauce, if I can find a DCer who can tell me if adding relish (either sweet or dill) to catsup will give me the same flavor as the bottled chili sauce.

If not, I'll add a bunch of horseradish to Ranch dressing, for a dipping sauce. :chef:

pacanis 01-06-2011 01:51 PM

I decided to take something red out of the freezer. I am hoping it's some kind of pasta sauce.

babetoo 01-06-2011 04:01 PM

just leftover chili chicken thighs and vegs. a piece of apricot nectar cake for dessert.

Alix 01-06-2011 04:03 PM

Cornflake chicken in the DO tonight. Committee salad and a starch to be named later. I'm thinking quinoa but might be persuaded to do potatoes. (Lord I'm sick of potatoes!)

DaveSoMD 01-06-2011 04:08 PM

We are finishing up the last of the pork roast and potatoes this evening along with some sauerkraut and a veggie (to be decided when I open the freezer)

Zhizara 01-06-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 956220)
I decided to take something red out of the freezer. I am hoping it's some kind of pasta sauce.

:lol::lol::lol: I know that feeling. Is it Chili, Spaghetti sauce, or something else. Red is usually good, though.