What are you smoking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Oh lord. I may need to retitle this one. I'll see how many spammer hits we get with this title though. :rolleyes:

I have a huge slab of pink salmon brining right now. I figure while we have some milder temperatures I need to get some done or we are all going to go into withdrawal.

Going to use a combination of alder and maple chips on this slab. If it stays mild I'll do another one tomorrow with some hickory. I haven't found the right amount of hickory flavoring for salmon yet. I think the milder alder is probably the best chip to use, but I'm still experimenting. Haven't made any that tastes BAD yet, so I'll just keep messing about.

Anyone else?

Alix,

Have you tried pecan instead of hickory? It should be a little more mild but is part of the hickory family.

I'm not smoking anything today, food or otherwise...
I like maple. I use more maple and apple than anything. I've never thrown a fish on the WSM before though. Fish is on my short list.

Alix,

Have you tried pecan instead of hickory? It should be a little more mild but is part of the hickory family.
Pecan is tough to find around here Frank. I've never seen it in the stores. My duaghter is allergic to the nut do you suppose the smoke would affect her?

I'm not smoking anything today, food or otherwise...
I like maple. I use more maple and apple than anything. I've never thrown a fish on the WSM before though. Fish is on my short list.

I smoke more salmon more often than anything else. I am still working on getting jerky right. Why do you like apple so much, pacanis? Is the flavor sweeter?

Alix, you use a conventional smoker? I've been anxious to try salmon in my stove top smoker, but my husband claims he doesn't like salmon. He loves his bagels and lox, so I don't get it. I don't like grilled salmon either, but smoked salmon is another story I think.
I have an assortment of wood chips that came with the smoker so I'm paying close attention here. Good to know about the pecan wood, Frank, and I have some!

Last edited:
Alix,

I don't know what the relationship to a nut allergy would be to the wood, though pecan is part of the hickory family. Does you daughter show signs when you use hickory wood?

Alix, it seems sweeter. Still smoky, but milder. I like it on any cut of pork and also chicken. I usually use half apple and half maple. I used hickory on some fatties a month ago and they were almost too smoky. Not really, but I hadn't used straight hickory in a while. It caught me a little off guard, like the difference between cheap vodka and good vodka ;)

Alix,

I don't know what the relationship to a nut allergy would be to the wood, though pecan is part of the hickory family. Does you daughter show signs when you use hickory wood?

She hasn't shown any signs, but she really didn't care for the hickory flavor much so didn't eat much. Couldn't hurt to try it if I can find it. What do you like the best about that flavor Frank?

Alix, it seems sweeter. Still smoky, but milder. I like it on any cut of pork and also chicken. I usually use half apple and half maple. I used hickory on some fatties a month ago and they were almost too smoky. Not really, but I hadn't used straight hickory in a while. It caught me a little off guard, like the difference between cheap vodka and good vodka ;)

I have a friend who just cut down an apple tree and offered me a bunch of wood. I don't know how to chip it all up though. I'm game, and I think I'd like to try that out. Thoughts on how to chip it up?

Alix, you use a conventional smoker? I've been anxious to try salmon in my stove top smoker, but my husband claims he doesn't like salmon. He loves his bagels and lox, so I don't get it. I don't like grilled salmon either, but smoked salmon is another story I think.
I have an assortment of wood chips that came with the smoker so I'm paying close attention here. Good to know about the pecan wood, Frank, and I have some!

I have a little wee cold smoker. It was a gift one Christmas. It does a great job if you aren't trying to be too fancy. I'd take a picture but I can't find the camera cable! This is sort of like mine, only mine is only 3 racks.

Attachments

• Little Chief Topload Smoker.jpg
    Little Chief Topload Smoker.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
I have a friend who just cut down an apple tree and offered me a bunch of wood. I don't know how to chip it all up though. I'm game, and I think I'd like to try that out. Thoughts on how to chip it up?

Whittling knife and a rocking chair?

:LOL:

If you could cut it into small pieces I'm sure you could splinter the pieces up with a hammer on some concrete, but I don't know of an easy way to get chips. I would definitely get some though.

Well now here's what I was thinking...

The city comes down the alley in a week or so with a wood chipper to mulch up all the Christmas trees. I wonder if they could do a few logs of apple for me? And if they can...how the hell do I catch it at the other end??? :ROFLMAO:

I use an ax to make chips. It can be a lot of work if you need a lot and you will need to use fairly large limbs or else you will break them rather than cut them.
I reckon you might be able to rent a wood chipper somewhere...but if you do you should have a large supply of wood to make it worth your while and money.
You could always buy a wood chipper, but they are very pricey.
Perhaps a neighbor might be willing to go in with you on renting a chipper.
I have tried using a chainsaw to make chips and while it will work it is really not the best way.
A good sharp whittling knife would do but would be slow.
Good luck!!!

Definitely a wood chipper would be the way to go, but I would tell the city to come by your place first, so the blade and chute don't get all gummy with pine sap :ohmy: That would make for some nasty wood chips fo sho. ;)

Definitely a wood chipper would be the way to go, but I would tell the city to come by your place first, so the blade and chute don't get all gummy with pine sap :ohmy: That would make for some nasty wood chips fo sho. ;)

You don't think they wash that chipper between uses do you?

A girl can dream! And who knows, maybe that pine sap would add a little je ne sais quoi to the smoke!:LOL:

I am thinking yer best best is to get the hatchet out.

Oddly enough I have never seen pin sap as a commercially available food flavoring.. you might start a new trend. ;)

I am thinking yer best best is to get the hatchet out.

Oddly enough I have never seen pin sap as a commercially available food flavoring.. you might start a new trend. ;)
They put it in Buckley's, so it must be good for you! ;)

Same here. My dh doesn't like cooked salmon. I had to convince him to taste the (cold) smoked salmon. He was surprised he liked it. I love cold smoked salmon and gravad lax, but the cooked stuff makes me gag.

Back
Top Bottom