What else can I do with popcorn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love popcorn, one of the all-time great snacks!
(except when a small piece of outer kernel shell gets lodged between my teeth and gum)
So, I'm feeling bad about posting this poop, but I'm hoping someone can debunk the report...

About a year or two ago, I read that microscopic bits of popcorn can be inhaled into a person's lungs and cause respiratory problems, sort of like asbestos.

I love popcorn, one of the all-time great snacks!
(except when a small piece of outer kernel shell gets lodged between my teeth and gum)
So, I'm feeling bad about posting this poop, but I'm hoping someone can debunk the report...

About a year or two ago, I read that microscopic bits of popcorn can be inhaled into a person's lungs and cause respiratory problems, sort of like asbestos.

You are as much at risk of inhaling flour when you bake and having the same thing happen. If you are relatively healthy and can cough...you actually cough all of this up. Your lungs work overtime to remove foreign debris. Asbestos is a carcinogen, it can cause cancer, especially if exposed for long periods of time.

I wouldn't worry about popcorn, unless you start snorting it.:)

You've already named my favorites, buttered popcorn and caramel corn (my mom made the best!). I have seen recipes for chocolate dipped, but unless it is dark chocolate that wouldn't be too healthy.

I never knew until I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes that popcorn is very high in sugar and diabetics can't eat a lot of it. It makes sense of course, after all where does corn syrup come from? :LOL:

:)Barbara

Check the serving size on your bag of popcorn for the carbs per serving. I believe, and I'm doing this from memory, the serving size allowed for diabetics is only 1 cup of popcorn. Just enough to whet the appetite for more!

I don't think it is the popcorn that causes respiratory problems--it is the artificial butter flavoring in microwave popcorn. Some people at the manufacturing plants got sick from that nasty stuff during the processing.

Maybe I missed a reply and someone has already mentioned it, but well... herbs and spices, but with no need of having to use oils or the like to 'adhere' it to the corn.

Because popcorn is so porous, even more so when it's just popped and still hot, you can sprinkle your favorite spices on them, even herbs, to give them flavor without the added dietary conundrums of having to add oils. Opens up a whole variety of ideas of making your own spice mixes, both sweet and savory.

Ungh! And here I thought I got over my popcorn craving from the past few days... now it's back again!

This might sound weird to non wasabi lovers... BUT.... something delicious for popcorn is to whisk in some wasabi powder into melted butter. Add in some honey and whisk some more. Drizzle on hot popcorn and voila! Honey wasabi popcorn. DEEEEE-LI-CIOUS!!!!!!!

Also, parmesan stirred into melted butter and drizzled on popcorn is really nice too. :)

This might sound weird to non wasabi lovers... BUT.... something delicious for popcorn is to whisk in some wasabi powder into melted butter. Add in some honey and whisk some more. Drizzle on hot popcorn and voila! Honey wasabi popcorn. DEEEEE-LI-CIOUS!!!!!!!

Although I've never tried wasabi (one day I'll get the courage to do it!), this actually sounds really good! Would this be similar to those wasabi pea snacks maybe?

Although I've never tried wasabi (one day I'll get the courage to do it!), this actually sounds really good! Would this be similar to those wasabi pea snacks maybe?

Yeah! Just not as hard and crunchy. :)

It really is good. And what I love about wasabi is that you get a BURST of intense flavour but then it just goes away. There is no lingering, residual heat like with curries and such. It's just tasty tasty tasty. And the bit of honey, mixed with the butter, tames it down a bit too... so you just get a nice flavour with a bit of a kick.

Dang... now i am craving it badly!!! LOL

i'm a garlic & a salt type of person, that goes on most of my food in 1 form or another!

Yeah! Just not as hard and crunchy. :)

It really is good. And what I love about wasabi is that you get a BURST of intense flavour but then it just goes away. There is no lingering, residual heat like with curries and such. It's just tasty tasty tasty. And the bit of honey, mixed with the butter, tames it down a bit too... so you just get a nice flavour with a bit of a kick.

Dang... now i am craving it badly!!! LOL

I'm going to have to go hunting for wasabi powder, you've convinced me to test this out :D.

Last night i made a double batch of a honey crunch popcorn that i found on Spark People. I made a bit of a mess while doing so, it was my first time after all.

First of all, there is a lot to be said for the ease and deliciousness of just plain popped popcorn.

Secondly, for a recipe with three steps - to pop the popcorn, make the sauce, then cover it and bake it - without burning myself or ruining a cookie sheet (yes it was new), at least it was all devoured by midnight !

I wonder why the recipes need to be baked, anyway ? I have others that need to be baked too ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom